Jim's Reviews > Napoleon's Privates: 2,500 Years of History Unzipped

Napoleon's Privates by Tony Perrottet

bookshelves: historical, 2non-fiction, 1paper

A very enjoyable read whether straight through or as a pickup during odd times. The short sections made the latter easy. It's quite a collection of sexual trivia over 2500 years & it piqued my curiosity about a lot of other history. It provided a lot of continuity to other historical books I've read & was very well documented.

It is very interesting how our sexual mores have changed & it gave great insight, without being the least offensive. For instance, there were several sections on homosexuality, including the origin of the term & how it was treated over the years. From the days of the ancient Greeks, when it was expected that an older man would 'tutor' young men (only from a superior position & it was scandalous to have relations with another older man) to misunderstandings about bed sharing practices, a pretty clear picture emerges that shows just how narrow minded we were before the current sexual revolution.

This probably isn't a book for the serious historian, but for someone interested in history & sex (aren't we all?) it was a fun read & I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Napoleon's Privates.

December 25, 2008 – Shelved
December 25, 2008 – Shelved as: historical
December 25, 2008 – Shelved as: 2non-fiction
December 25, 2008 –
page 45
17.58% "Well researched, funny & interesting history."
December 30, 2008 –
page 85
January 22, 2009 –
page 152
59.38% "Still very interesting. Almost like a 'Believe it or not' book."
Started Reading
February 4, 2009 – Finished Reading
December 11, 2013 – Shelved as: 1paper

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Cathy (last edited Nov 14, 2014 04:47PM) (new) - added it

Cathy DuPont Jim: So what happened to the drugs and rock 'n roll? Apparently it hits the history and sex...

My friend Jackson is trying to educate me on such things as history...and stuff by recommending specific books for my reading pleasure. (Only because of my past reading selections. Perhaps I shouldn't post some of the titles I read!)

Glad you liked this one.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Who needs drugs & music with this much sex? LOL! The funniest thing about this is my daughter found it in her college book store & gave it to me for Xmas. She said it was just 'so Dad'.

;)

message 3: by Cathy (new) - added it

Cathy DuPont Jim wrote: "Who needs drugs & music with this much sex? LOL! The funniest thing about this is my daughter found it in her college book store & gave it to me for Xmas. She said it was just 'so Dad'.

;)"

Oh my word...she's my kind of gal! "...so Dad." LOL funny! And have to agree with the drugs and music! Really, you hit the nail on the head with that. We're (you aren't for sure) no fool!

Thanks for the laugh. :D