Megan's Reviews > All Things Different

All Things Different by Shawn Underhill

Sep 06, 2012

Read from September 06 to 10, 2012

When I started reading All Things Different I thought I was getting into an easy contemporary romance and was in no way prepared for the emotional roller coaster this story took me on.

The beginning of the story sets the scene for what life is like for what life is like for Jake and his father at their peaceful lakeside home in New Hampshire. They have a very simple life of routine that involves working, fishing, and nightly swims. When Sara and her mother move into their guest house Sara manages to turn Jake's life upside down. When Sara first arrives Jake has a very obstinate attitude towards her and really wants very little to do with her, but very quickly a strong bond begins to form between the two of them as Jake helps her deal with the demons of her past.

This was a very beautifully written story with great characters that have a lot of depth. It was descriptive and it was easy to get lost in the story and care about the characters. Jake is a very strong character who is eternally loyal to his father and Sara. He has a calm demeanor about him. Sara is a damaged young girl with an unstable family life. By far my favorite character in the story would have to be Jake's father "the old man." He's a caring and strong man and I think part of the reason I liked him so much was parts of his personality reminded me quite a bit of my own father.

All Things Different is a thought provoking coming of age novel that evokes a lot of emotions and had me in tears by the end. The story will stick with you long after you finish.

This review can also be found at stuck-on-reading.blogspot.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Things Different.

09/09/2012