Melina's Reviews > City of a Thousand Dolls

City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster

Sep 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: own

Cover Love:  The cover is beautiful! You get a sense of mystery and fantasy! It's a great attention grabber!

Review:

I have been on a fantasy kick ever since I read The Girl Of Fire and Thorns (SO GOOD) and I thought this would be a perfect fit! It mentions assassins! And I love me some assasins! And an abilities to talk to cats! Awesome right?
Well, no. I ended up disappointed.  Upon reading I found myself picturing Nisha as a thirteen year old and not the 16 year old she was depicted as even despite the kissing scenes. Speaking of depiction...She wasn't described much at all... All I really had to go on was the darkened image of the girl holding swords on the cover and so that really didn't help in my connecting with the Main character. And where were the assassins!? I kept waiting and waiting for them to be introduced! I feel like the idea was great but the execution was lacking. I really liked the idea of having girls be trained in different houses according to their affinities. The House of Flowers trained girls to be Nobles, The House of music, The House of Pleasure, The House of Jade trains scholars/healers/etc, House of Combat, The House of Beauty. But it wasn't enough to make the book extraordinary.

Also, the plot felt very mish-mashed. And her going about finding the murderer seems too messy. She seems aimless and desperate. Granted, she has good reason to be desperate. If the author intended to pass Nisha as a desperate heroine she succeeded.
However, what did keep me from marking this as a DNF and enjoying it in the end was the world building and the constant hinting at secrets concerning Nisha! I really enjoyed the imagery and just HAD TO find out what was so special about Nisha. Also the secondary characters like Jerrit, Nisha's cat companion, was a plus I enjoyed. Their dialogue was sweet and funny!
There are a few parts where we see that she could REALLY give her enemies THE HURT but I felt myself wanting for more. Had the couple kissing scens been taken out, this book would have been a much better Middle Grade book. I wish I had loved it more. Nothing really stood out for me. Which is a shame. I love fantasy and I LOVE assassins!

Bottom Line:

This book would have done better as a Middle Grade book had the author removed the few kissing scenes and one or two gory instances.
Reading this book felt like the author first wrote the middle and the end then tried attach a middle to it. It felt disconnected. I am sad I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped.

Recommended for:
Someone who wants an easy read. I guess...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of a Thousand Dolls.

September 6, 2012 – Shelved
May 2, 2013 – Started Reading
May 2, 2013 –
page 27
7.52% "Nisha sounds like she's 13. Not 16..."
May 3, 2013 –
page 97
27.02% "I wish there was more to learn about Nisha. I feel like we are just following her around. Character development is lacking. Pacing is ok. World Building is fabulous."
May 4, 2013 –
page 153
May 7, 2013 –
page 177
49.3% "it's good but definitely sounds more like MG"
May 9, 2013 –
page 359
100.0% "happy that's finally done!"
May 9, 2013 – Finished Reading