Deborah E Kehoe's Reviews > The Invitation

The Invitation by Vi Keeland

F 50x66

When Stella’s roommate sticks her with two months back rent, sneaks out in the middle of the night, AND takes her favorite pairs of shoes she doesn’t think twice about pretending to be her and going to a ritzy wedding in her place. She is having a blast and has met the most handsome man! Unfortunately, things take a turn when that man turns out to be the bride’s brother and the person who has paid for this elegant and expensive wedding. Running out before she gets kicked out seems the right choice until she realizes she left her phone behind on the table and she has to contact Hudson to get her phone back.

Stella is NOT the type of person who gets run out of weddings. She is smart, hard-working, and is strictly by the book. This wedding farce ends up changing her life. She meets the bride, a woman who becomes her biggest supporter and friend, gets a loan for her business start-up, and faces off against Hudson the most handsome man she’s ever met and the man who holds all the cards in her new business. What she doesn’t expect is that all of her dreams will come true.

It’s been awhile since I’ve read a Vi Keeland novel and I honestly can’t remember why I ever stopped. The Invitation was such fun! Part of what I loved was the start up of Stella’s perfume business. The fact that Hudson took part in creating that success gave their characters reasons to be together beyond just attraction. I didn’t expect that depth to their characters and enjoyed that interaction as well as the initial attraction between them. Another aspect of this novel that I really enjoyed was Stella’s addiction to purchasing and reading other people’s diaries. How interesting! I didn’t even know this was a thing and have to admit to being curious over whether these books are really out there being sold. It was also a kind of cool tie-in to the conflict in the story.

If you are looking for a fun novel with some hidden depth give The Invitation a look. I enjoyed the characters, their romance, and the story that surrounded it. It’s not often a romance surprises me and this one really did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invitation.

June 29, 2021 – Started Reading