April 's Reviews > Furies of Calderon

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

did not like it

First of all... I consider Jim Butcher to be a very talented writer, and I have greatly enjoyed the Dresden Files for a number of years. So when reading my complaints, you must also keep in mind that, having read all of the Dresden Files books more than once, I had a certain level of expectation that needed to be met.

They weren't. With the exception of a few short scenes in the beginning and in the middle, this first book in the Codex Alera was very, very subpar. It's not even all that long and yet reading it took me well over a month.

Even overlooking the ridiculous amount of pronoun typos in various chapters, the world-building is mediocre at best. The reader is never given an introduction to any of the new concepts so much as thrown in the deep end of the world-building pool. The drop is unpleasant and unrewarding. The writing is weak and the characters, for the most part, are unbelievable and unlikable. The book tries too hard to be epic, and never manages to succeed. Perhaps one is meant to see this as Butcher's equivalent of George R. R. Martin's Westeros, but Alera fails to be nearly as complex or interesting.

Due to liking Butcher's other series, I will have to try the second book in the Codex Alera but I will not make as much of an effort to complete it. Doing so with this book was exhausting enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furies of Calderon.

Started Reading
December 24, 2008 – Shelved
December 24, 2008 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Medivh158 I couldn't agree more. After 200 pages of tedious reading, I still wasn't able to see the picture Butcher was 'trying' to paint. You are dropped right into the story with NO information whatsoever. I love SOME information being kept from the reader for the sake of surprise and suspense, but scratching my head trying to figure out what is what is rather unpleasant :'(

Carly I read the second before the first (library availability), which I actually think was a better-done book, then came back to this one. Like the Dresden Files, the first book (or in the case of TDF, first 2 or 3) is weaker than the rest, but when you go back to it, it really works quite well in setting up later events. I guess if you do like TDF, it's possibly worth giving the second a try?

Jareb Collins Totally agree. Butcher's work with the Dresden Files was entertaining, engaging, and FUN. While Furies started with an interesting premise, I am finding myself struggling just to get through it. Feels like a big giant plate of chow mein...always just a little bit more. Not sure if I will even attempt #2.

Brittany Monaghan The Codex Alera books are much better then the Dresden files. The world building is comprehensive and flows well. The Dresden files feels forced and its film noir world is unappealing and lacks originality. Perhaps if you read the second book it will hook you.

message 6: by Nayari (new)

Nayari Oh my goodness I am only 89 pages in and have been so lost and worried that maybe I was missing something. I feel like I am scrambling to catch up to a world I don't even know. Your review is such a relief to read. Maybe I will try The Dresden Files instead of continuing with this book.

Jeffrey Schmieder The Kindle "typesetting" was horrible, too many words mashed together. Worse than Dresden? I finally finished the Dresden series and frankly I like this book a little bit more. Not as repetitive.

craze gonzalez Like most series you have to let it grow on you. The first and second book were slow and boring at times but once i was done with the series this is one of my more favorite fantasy novels. It wasn't the best but definitely not bad for a mash up bet. I think he did a very good job of combining the two concepts. Finish the series i guarantee you won't be disappointed.

David Sheffler I'm baffled by how you can think and feel this way.

message 10: by Chris (new) - rated it 1 star

Chris Racchini Couldnt agree more. This book felt like it was written by a kid in elementary school.