هديل غنيم's Reviews > NW

NW by Zadie Smith

Sep 06, 2012

Read from September 06 to 15, 2012

I cant believe how fast I finished this book compared to the quickly abandoned "white teeth". One reason could be that Zadie Smith is coming to town next week to discuss it... but seriously this was interesting. I didn't mind the irregularities: the parallel stories, the uneven depth and breadth given to each of the few characters, even the bad ending. In fact I liked the uneven structure. Each section having its own. I actually loved Natlie's section with all the fragmented bits. The titles to these fragments were ingenious..thoughtful and even funny. That's probably why i finished the book: Zadie Smith writes thoughtfully and sincerely about growing up. It's a great topic and I am exactly her age. But that's about all I could relate to. I have to go back to the map of London to see all the places she described, I dont remember if I've been to Kilburn or Willesden when I lived in London for a year. But I sure do remember Camden!
I remember now that I was bothered by too much dialogue in the beginning (especially in a dialect that i am unfamiliar with). But this either stopped or I got used to it later on, I think there was less of it further on in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NW.