Eliza's Reviews > Bridget Jones's Diary

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Sep 05, 2012

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** I very rarely say this, but in reality the movie actually was better than the book. Part of this might be that I saw the movie first and so had that vision of the story in my head. Part of this might also be that I typically am not a fan of books written in the form of diaries, because they tend to be kind of staggered and don't go into enough detail on any one topic. Also, I expected it to be much funnier. It definitely had its funny moments, but I only had a couple times where I actually laughed out loud.

What I did find interesting was the vaguely parallel plot to Pride and Prejudice. Coincidentally, I just read Pride and Prejudice a couple of weeks ago and the story was fresh in my mind. P&P had been sitting in the back of my mind for much of the book, especially w/ the main male figure being named Mark Darcy. Mark being at first quite a rude fellow then eventually ending up quite a nice catch after all. Then w/ the situation with Bridget's mother. Not only did Mr. Darcy save the day and fix the entire situation, but there was also the connection of the behavior of Bridget's mother. To me, this is what made the book the most interesting, because once I realized the link was there, it became a game to put together all the puzzle pieces to complete the similarities between the 2 novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridget Jones's Diary.