Carol's Reviews > East of Eden

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

bookshelves: classics, 2014-super-favorites, favorites, read-2014, inspirational, buddy-read-susan, chunkster
Recommended for: Everyone

Wow! I just don't know how to express the overwhelming power of this inspirational story! It is one of those novels that really isn't over when you finish reading it as it stays with you inside your head and heart forever. There is so much to ponder: Just a simple question like, "What am I here for?" or to feel the story of Cain and Abel come to life; and gosh, I don't think I will ever forget the meaning of the Hebrew word Timshel (thou mayest) a very important symbol in this book meaning we have a choice to choose between good and evil.

Each and every one of the character's in this novel are engaging and memorable, but for me Samuel Hamilton and LEE outshine them all; and while reading this UNPUTDOWNABLE classic, I was trying to remember a book I've EVER read that had such an evil villainous bitch as Cathy (Kate) who executes absolutely despicable and unforgivable acts of harm to just about everyone in her acquaintance. (believe me when I say, Serena was an angel compared to this nasty piece of work), and yet....by the end of the story, I actually felt myself feeling a teeny bit sorry for her. (go figure)

Anyway, EAST OF EDEN will forever be a favorite book of mine and one I already look forward to reading again. Very Highly Recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East of Eden.

Quotes Carol Liked

John Steinbeck
“But the Hebrew word, the word timshel—‘Thou mayest’— that gives a choice. It might be the most important word in the world. That says the way is open. That throws it right back on a man. For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.”

John Steinbeck
“It would be absurd if we did not understand both angels and devils, since we invented them.”

John Steinbeck
“I believe a strong woman may be stronger than a man, particularly if she happens to have love in her heart. I guess a loving woman is indestructible.”

John Steinbeck
“There's more beauty in truth, even if it is dreadful beauty.”
John Steinbeck, East of Eden

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.”

September 5, 2012 – Shelved
July 1, 2014 – Shelved as: inspirational
July 1, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 5, 2015 – Shelved as: buddy-read-susan
May 26, 2016 – Shelved as: chunkster

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)

Laura I think Ron rash used Kate as a model for his Serena, in my opinion. It's a wonderful book!

Laura I've got Grapes of Wrath on my list before 2014 ends. It's celebrating 75 yrs. Steinbeck is the man!

message 3: by Dem (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dem What a great reaction to a book Carol. I haven't had that feeling in a long time. I need a five star read badly. Loved this book and its one that has pride of place on my bookshelf.

Laura Dem
Have you read Winter People or Serena? Both were 5 star reads for me.

Carol Laura wrote: "I think Ron rash used Kate as a model for his Serena, in my opinion. It's a wonderful book!"

You just may be right Laura, lol. :-)

Carol Dem wrote: "What a great reaction to a book Carol. I haven't had that feeling in a long time. I need a five star read badly. Loved this book and its one that has pride of place on my bookshelf."

It sure is a good feeling, isn't it, but I'm afraid the next book will be a letdown for sure.

Carol Laura wrote: "I've got Grapes of Wrath on my list before 2014 ends. It's celebrating 75 yrs. Steinbeck is the man!"

I hope to read GOW this year too Laura. I want to read Travels with Charley: In Search of America too.

Janet I have GOW on my list for this month. I read it 40+ years ago and really liked it then. The movie is also very, very good.

message 9: by Peggy (new) - added it

Peggy Carol, Great review! I've had this for year's but for some reason have never gotten around to reading it. Will have to find the time :D

Carol Peggy Z wrote: "Carol, Great review! I've had this for year's but for some reason have never gotten around to reading it. Will have to find the time :D"

Thanks Peggy. Hope you can get to it as it is absolutely amazing!

Carol Janet wrote: "I have GOW on my list for this month. I read it 40+ years ago and really liked it then. The movie is also very, very good."

I saw the movie a very long time ago and don't remember much; hope to read the book this year. Look forward to your review Janet.

Laura Just interesting fact, Jennifer Lawrence will be playing Serena in movie version and also Kate in remake of East of Eden. Hmmm!

Carol Laura wrote: "Just interesting fact, Jennifer Lawrence will be playing Serena in movie version and also Kate in remake of East of Eden. Hmmm!"

REALLY? I love JL and definitely want to see both movies. Thanks for the interesting info. Laura. Didn't know there was going to be a remake of EOE.

Laura It may be made into two movies since book is so long.

Carol Laura wrote: "It may be made into two movies since book is so long."

Great! Do you know when it's coming out?

Laura Serena in the Fall and I didn't see anything on E of E release date.

Carol Laura wrote: "Serena in the Fall and I didn't see anything on E of E release date."

Thank you! Will watch for them.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Carol ~☆ Alice♥♥ wrote: "I read this one summer down in MS and I guess I was about 16. I was so shocked that I never forgot parts of it either. I recently read it again for the second time."

I know I will never forget it!

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Wow!!!!Why haven't I read this?? Thanks Carol

Carol Florence (Lefty) wrote: "Wow!!!!Why haven't I read this?? Thanks Carol"

It's pretty much near the top of my all time favorites now. So glad my friend Susan picked it as a buddy read or don't know when I may have read it.

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Cannery Row's my favorite by him. Probably not his best, I just loved the way he captured the characters that work in a fishing community, probably because I related (lived / worked in a small fishing community here for years, bartender at "The Gillnetter Cabaret" knew all the fishermen - corny eh? Anyway, if you haven't yet maybe read it Carol.

Carol Florence (Lefty) wrote: "Cannery Row's my favorite by him. Probably not his best, I just loved the way he captured the characters that work in a fishing community, probably because I related (lived / worked in ..."

No, it's NOT corny at all, and Cannery Row is on my short list of books to read by Steinbeck. Thanks Florence!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to read that one too as it sounds so interesting.

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh ~☆ Alice♥♥ wrote: "Florence (Lefty) wrote: "Cannery Row's my favorite by him. Probably not his best, I just loved the way he captured the characters that work in a fishing community, probably because I re..."

Hi Alice, hope you're doing okay! And you should, it's good:)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Carol wrote: "Florence (Lefty) wrote: "Cannery Row's my favorite by him. Probably not his best, I just loved the way he captured the characters that work in a fishing community, probably because I re..."

I'm bound and determined to read every Steinbeck before I croak. Thanks Carol.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I sure won't! I had to read The Pearl in high school and I hated it. I have a cracked tooth so very crabby! I am trying to hang on to the 16th but I doubt I can make it. The dentist is booked up. how are you?

The Pearl

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh ~☆ Alice♥♥ wrote: "I sure won't! I had to read The Pearl in high school and I hated it. I have a cracked tooth so very crabby! I am trying to hang on to the 16th but I doubt I can make it. The dentist is booked up...."

Better than you obviously - sorry about your tooth, that's so annoying! I'm doing alright, just a bit tired, this working for a living is for the birds! I so want to go back to working part-time, that I'm fine with. Anyway, enough complaining:)
And thanks, I'll put "The Pearl" at the bottom of that pile.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

What job are you doing now?

You might like it but we had to analyze it. You know how that is. It depressed me too much. I remember it as being very sad.

Carol Florence (Lefty) wrote: "Carol wrote: "Florence (Lefty) wrote: "Cannery Row's my favorite by him. Probably not his best, I just loved the way he captured the characters that work in a fishing community, probabl..."

Sounds like a good goal to me, lol. :-)

Carol Sorry about your tooth too Alice! (I liked The Pearl, but then I didn't have to analyze it).

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, hope my dentist gets an opening soon. When did you read it?

Carol Last year; I remember it being tragic though.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Carol wrote: "Last year; I remember it being tragic though."

Lefty - don't scroll down!

Spoiler:

Right away I remember the baby dying and that was it for me. I didn't like the book anymore.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh ~☆ Alice♥♥ wrote: "Just think - I remembered that over 40 years so it must have made an impression even if a negative one."

I didn't scroll down - I PROMISE! Was close though, whew:)
Construction, Highrise towers, I organize the building then installation of those highend kitchens, work with VERY grumpy site supers:) It's a living:)

Steve I guess it stands to reason that someone else would compare Serena with Cathy. Both were bad to the bone.

I liked, too, that you made a special mention of Lee and Samuel Hamilton. Their discussions really stood out, I thought. The same can be said of your review!

Carol Steve wrote: "I guess it stands to reason that someone else would compare Serena with Cathy. Both were bad to the bone.

Thank you Steve. One of my all time very favorites that I intend to read again.

Camie I read this back in 2003 when it was an "Oprah pick ( one that I actually liked ) It was billed as the book that brought her Bookclub back ( I don't remember where it went, lol. )

Carol Camie wrote: "I read this back in 2003 when it was an "Oprah pick ( one that I actually liked ) It was billed as the book that brought her Bookclub back ( I don't remember where it went, lol. )"

Lol Camie! :-)

Matthew Great review - OMG, Kate is soooooo evil! One of the best villains ever written.

Carol Matthew wrote: "Great review - OMG, Kate is soooooo evil! One of the best villains ever written."

OMG, wasn't she!!!!!

message 43: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Laura wrote: "I think Ron rash used Kate as a model for his Serena, in my opinion. It's a wonderful book!"

Yes, Laura, I completely agree with you! Two of the most memorably evil women in literature (and two of my very favorite books!).

message 44: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron Nice review Carol! Truly a great book.

message 45: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Terrific review, Carol! :)

message 46: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Great review of one of my all-time favorites, Carol. You make me want to go find it right now!

message 47: by Brian (new)

Brian Wow! Excellent review! Makes me excited to read it.

Britany YAAASSSSS!!!! Completely agree with your review.

LeAnne: GeezerMom Aint it goooooood???

message 50: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Thank you Carol, great review!

« previous 1