Kelly H. (Maybedog)'s Reviews > Gil's All Fright Diner

Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez

did not like it
bookshelves: what-modern-fantasy, what-humor, abandoned, what-male-protagonist, what-not-mm

All my GR friends really enjoyed this but I just can't get into it. There are some funny things like turning the whole dark and dangerous and mysterious vampire and werewolf tropes on their supernatural ears. But what emerges are caricatures of a b movie action comedy. While I can picture a middle aged potbellied werewolf, a scared, whiny, sniveling, ineffectual little vampire is too much for me to buy and hell he is annoying. Other than him, so far everyone in this books is either fat (and this fact is very explicitly pointed out) or a hot teen. I get that Martinez is making fun of the genre but I just can't do another teenager infested supernatural fest. When the vampire has to control himself when a 17-year-old vamps for him (pun intended) I was done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gil's All Fright Diner.

December 23, 2008 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" This was absolutely the awful-est!! I couldn't even bring myself to put it on my shelves here for fear it would contaminate my other books. Bleeah. Barf.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Ha ha! I'm so relieved I'm not the only one! I did notice that the only female friend I have who rated it only gave it a three and she's a lot more forgiving than I am. So I conclude this is of more interest to boys.