Nori's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Dec 23, 2008

Because it seemed like bestselling chicklit, I expected to hate this one, honestly. I picked it up in the bad airport bookstore at SFO -- not the good one in the United terminal; the bad one that has nothing but bodice-rippers and "The Audacity Of Hope" -- as airplane reading, and actually blazed through the first two sections on the flight to Chicago.

Rather than the feel-good collection of affirmations for divorcées I expected, this memoir-cum-travelogue (which was surprisingly well-written -- I wasn't familiar with Gilbert's work before, and, while I now won't exactly necessarily seek it out in book form, I'll happily read it in magazines) simply chronicles a crazy year of world- and self-exploration its author undertook upon realizing she needed serious change.

It's fun to read because she relates her experiences well, and with humor; because she had such luck in her travels and made friends so easily; because she found what she was seeking -- and, not least, because it is a case study of someone who upended everything she was doing in order to do something completely different. It's good to be reminded that that kind of adventure is possible (perhaps sometimes even necessary) from time to time.

Recommended. No, really.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.

December 23, 2008 – Shelved