Cindy Knoke's Reviews > The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea

The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water by Mary South

Sep 04, 2012

liked it
Read in September, 2012

I confess to having a weakness for non-fiction books about women who check out of their “normal” hum- drum lives, do interesting things, preferably on their own.
I admire this.
Mary South is an interesting woman who did an interesting thing, on her own. She up and quit her job because it was annoying her, and wasn’t working for her, and found a better life.
I’m always am in favor of this if it’s not working for you and you can do it.
Plus I did it, so I’m biased.
She said re: her job, ""I was in a contamination zone and I felt panicky about getting out."
Many of us can relate?
Anyhoo, Mary quit her successful publishing job, took a tough nine week mariners course, met some really interesting people in the process, like a successful high powered attorney, with chronic insomnia, hypertension and a drinking problem who also chucked his job.
“Good for him,” I thought.
In the midst of this she bought a boat.
Your thinking sailing boat, I know, and maybe your thinking, “Oh I’m tired of all these lucky people who buy yachts and sail around the world. The oceans must be littered with all these unemployed people sailing around in them.”
Probably, really, not. Although it does seem like this, to me too.
Anyway, she didn’t buy a yacht. I had to look this up to get it right, she bought a motorized trawler.
Google it. .
She motored it with John from Florida to New York. He is the smart attorney she met in the mariner’s class, who chucked his job.
This trip is what the book is about mostly, but also her life and relationships.
She is interesting and writes well, for example "The worst of the (storm) front just turned and wandered off, like an exhausted bully with attention deficit disorder."
She is a person who wrote a memoir who I would actually like to meet and that is saying a lot. Many of these authors, I think, great memoir, probably don’t want to meet you. Augusten Burroughs comes to mind.
Love his books, a lot. Don’t want to meet him.
Anyway, she seems interesting and her book is good. Augusten’s are better….but she is probably a lot nicer.
Recommend if you are interested in this sort of thing.
It isn’t like climbing Mt Everest and being John Krakauer.
But then, what is?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water.

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Nice review Cindy! Sounds like a fun adventure story. You cracked me up about Burroughs.....loved the one book (memoir? verdict is still being debated) that I read of his but no way would I want face time with him.

Cindy Knoke Exactly! He's funny, super bright, great writer, and a tad scary! Love your reviews.....Keep em coming!
Cheers Cindy

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Do you think Truman Capote would be in the Burroughs category? I've only read his 'cold blood' (and loved it) but I think he'd be more real though if I was in any way famous or notorious I wouldn't go anywhere near him. Thanks for the compliment. I'm looking forward to more of your reviews.