Priscilla's Reviews > A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  Smith

Sep 04, 2012

Read from September 17 to October 04, 2012

Loved it! A fantastic coming of age story.

Initial Thoughts:
1. Very relatable. Frances Nolan was born into a family that didn't have much, but managed to make it work every day. A great story of perseverance and determination.
2. Thoughtful and honest. I appreciated the realities Betty Smith brought forth, and the profound words that give strength to those who struggle.
3. Slow read. It's a book that I wanted to take my time with and absorb each experience Frances and her family was going through.
4. Flow of the story is great. From the birth of Frances Nolan, her parents' backstory, her brothers birth, and her time growing up in Brooklyn.
5. Loved the characters! Loved Frances determination, Neely's sensitivity, Johnny's caring nature, and Katie's fierceness. A lot of great character development.

Check out my video review here!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

09/18/2012 page 107
21.0% "Really enjoying so far. :)"
10/04/2012 page 508
100.0% "Fantastic story. One of my absolute favourites."
11/21/2016 marked as: read

Tiffany Ahhh!! You will love this book! :)

Crystal I loved this when I first read it. It needs to be re-read soon. :) Hope you enjoy it!

Aisha Yayyy!! This is my all time favorite book, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Olivia Caudell This book is amazing!

message 5: by Ye-sheen (new) - added it

Ye-sheen i need to make sure that i read this

message 6: by Samra (new) - added it

Samra Is it good?

message 7: by Olga (new) - added it

Olga I'd love to read this one, and I'm looking forward to your review of it!