Tamara Bostrom's Reviews > The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific

The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost

Sep 04, 2012

Read in September, 2012 — I own a copy

Contrary to its title, this book has nothing to do with the sex lives of anyone. It briefly discusses the odd courtship rituals of the I-Kiribati and their morals surrounding marriage and fidelity but that occupies only a few pages of the book. Instead, this is a fun travelogue that details the two years the author and his girlfriend spent on the forgotten islands of Kiribati. Unlike most travelogues I read, the book was almost entirely devoid of inspirational moments coming from an enlarged sense of the world or an awakening of the inner self. I realized after finishing the book just how much I enjoy that inspirational facet of the travelogue genre. However, all in all, the book was very entertaining and extremely educational for anyone who is not well versed in the history and current conditions of the very remote Equatorial Pacific (so probably everyone.)

I am excited to read another book by this same author.

Any of my LDS friends who may choose to read the book will have to keep a look out for the very brief anecdote of the author's encounters with Mormon missionaries. His reaction is honest and, if you look for it, there is a pretty large compliment hidden inside his cynicism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sex Lives of Cannibals.