Caroline's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Sep 04, 2012

bookshelves: favorite-covers, magical-realism, audio

This was a really strange, magical read. I realized about halfway through that there was very little action and the plot was actually moving pretty slowly, but I didn't care at all. This is a book for people who love descriptions of amazing things, not people who want something that will be a non-stop thrill-ride.

There are several narratives intertwining in here, and there's a feeling that time just doesn't matter. It might be a result of listening to the audio (which, by the way, was excellent--I loved Jim Dale's work in the Harry Potter series, and it was just as fantastic in here), but I did lose track of things here and there. This wasn't a huge issue, since it really did feel like time itself was less important than the changes, but it was a little disorienting at times.

There was some vagueness here and there, but in the end everything was pretty much sorted out. A really interesting story concept and seriously amazing descriptions. I don't often find myself immediately thinking I wish there were a movie version of a book, but this is one of those times I did. This would translate beautifully to the screen, and I would just love to see how they would show some of those tents.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

September 3, 2012 – Started Reading
September 4, 2012 – Shelved
September 4, 2012 –
page 4
28.57% "Jim Dale audio is delightful so far!"
September 7, 2012 –