Evgeny's Reviews > Furies of Calderon

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

bookshelves: fantasy

Most of the people know the background of this series. For the rest of you I will tell it again. Jim Butcher made a bet he could write a fantasy book(s) based on Roman legions
Roman legions
and Pokemon.
Pikachu

This is the result. You have a society somewhat resembling that of Ancient Rome with its military being almost exact copy of Roman legions. Magic also exists and comes in the form of Furies (glorified Pokemon). Some of them are related to wind, some to wood, some to fire, etc. This is not Harry Dresden series.

A young boy Tavi who also happened to be practically the only one without any magic whatsoever did not take care of his herd on time because a girl asked him to get some special flowers. Finally trying to get the herd back he sees something he is not supposed to see and as the result got mixed up in Big Politics. We all know the life expectancy of little people who happened to be in the way of ambitious politicians. Fear not, this is a fantasy world so unlike in real life Tavi has a slim chance of survival.

At the same time a graduate of local Academy called Amara has to infiltrate an enemy camp and do some reconnaissance as a graduation exam (boy, these guys are serious about testing their pupils). She also sees something she is not supposed to see resulting in the same situation as the poor guy I mentioned above.

This is not Harry Dresden series. I cannot stress it enough. If you need another Dresden fix before the next book of this better-known series is published look elsewhere. The signature humor of the famous Chicago wizard is not present at all. The only similar themes I found were fast-paced plot and last moment escapes.

This book reminded me of a summer blockbuster. I already mentioned non-stop action: at times I felt I did not have a moment to catch my breath. On the other hand this book has a lot of fantasy cliches - I would say the majority of them were present here. So if you look at exciting but mindless fantasy read this book is for you. Just remember that this is not Harry Dresden series. If you want a book which would make you think about the meaning of life this is exactly the wrong one.

In the conclusion I need to explain why I kept saying that this is not Harry Dresden series. I saw people gave this one a low rating for the only reason that they expected something similar to that series; this on is not, so if you start reading this one keep it in mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furies of Calderon.

September 4, 2012 – Shelved
October 11, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 27, 2015 – Started Reading
July 27, 2015 –
August 17, 2015 –
6.0% "Prologue strongly reminds me of War and Peace (musings on an individual on history outcome). The actual beginning is quite interesting."
August 18, 2015 –
11.0% "I have a strong feeling of being there, done that. Still it is an easy read so far."
August 19, 2015 –
15.0% "POV switches just as the current character gets into a mortal danger. Dresden does not have these."
August 21, 2015 –
25.0% "After boring Bad Guys Social it is all non-stop action."
August 24, 2015 –
51.0% "This is most definitely NOT Harry Dresden. The only common theme is that here heroes keep moving from a bad situation to a worse one - just like that Chicago wizard/PI."
August 26, 2015 –
September 8, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This looks interesting !

Evgeny Helene wrote: "This looks interesting !"

The author made a bet he could write a fantasy book based on a cross between Roman legions and Pokemon :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

How much is the bet ? :)

Evgeny Helene wrote: "How much is the bet ? :)"

No clue. He won by the way ;)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Terence I always hearing the story of how Codex Alera came to be. Being able to create an engaging world based on a lost Roman Legion and Pokemon is astonishing.

message 7: by Evgeny (last edited Sep 08, 2015 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Evgeny Terence wrote: "I always hearing the story of how Codex Alera came to be. Being able to create an engaging world based on a lost Roman Legion and Pokemon is astonishing."

Very creative at the very least :)

message 8: by Vivian (new) - added it

Vivian Is this anything like Harry Dresden?
*snickers*
Two thumbs up for the use of Pikachu in the review.

message 9: by Milda (new) - added it

Milda Page Runner So
are these series like Harry Dresden?

:P

Great review Evgeny! :)

message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Ha! I was just getting ready to ask that, Vivian! ;)

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog FAB review Friend! :)
xoxoxo

message 12: by Mimi (new)

Mimi You still haven't convinced me this isn't an extention of the Dresden Files. :P

message 13: by Brandi (new) - added it

Brandi I'm confused. I thought this was like the Harry Dresden series? ;)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) There is a question no one else thought of asking you so I'll have to be the one to do it: is this anything like Harry Dresden? No moaning and groaning allowed Evgeny, you asked for it;)

Great review:)

message 15: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi Great review. I hope I can finish it soon too :)

Evgeny Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Malcolm and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "FAB review Friend! :)
xoxoxo"

Thank you Patty! I appreciate it :)

Evgeny Veronica wrote: "Great review. I hope I can finish it soon too :)"

Thank you Veronica! It is an easy read, just keep going with the flow.

Evgeny ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "There is a question no one else thought of asking you so I'll have to be the one to do it: is this anything like Harry Dresden? No moaning and groaning allowed Evgeny, you asked for it;)

Great rev..."

Thank you Sarah! I will answer your question below ;)

Great rev..."

Anne wrote: "Ha! I was just getting ready to ask that, Vivian! ;)"

Milda wrote: "So
are these series like Harry Dresden?

:P

Great review Evgeny! :)"

Vivian wrote: "Is this anything like Harry Dresden?
*snickers*
Two thumbs up for the use of Pikachu in the review."

Thank you dear friends! I was afraid my message about the dissimilarity of this series and Harry Dresden would get lost in the review, but I think it was not. Was it? :D

message 20: by Vivian (new) - added it

Vivian Perhaps not :)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) I don't know, I'll have to reread your review a few times to make sure.

message 22: by Alissa (new) - added it

Alissa Great review! Actually, this never made it into my tbr because I feared it had much in common with the Dresden series (nothing against it, but I don't usually like urban fantasy).

Evgeny Alissa wrote: "Great review! Actually, this never made it into my tbr because I feared it had much in common with the Dresden series (nothing against it, but I don't usually like urban fantasy)."

Thank you. As you saw from my review it is more like epic fantasy turned summer blockbuster :)

message 24: by Alissa (new) - added it

Alissa And that may have its own merits :D

JAIME How have I not read this? POKEMON.

Evgeny Jaime wrote: "How have I not read this? POKEMON."

They are called Furies here.

JAIME I just downloaded the audio version. It has a couple ahead of it, but looking forward to getting into this one.

'Furies' lol

Evgeny Jaime wrote: "I just downloaded the audio version. It has a couple ahead of it, but looking forward to getting into this one.

'Furies' lol

"

You made me smile :) Somehow words 'fury' and 'snorlax' do not work together.

Lilia Ford "This is not Harry Dresden series."

Ironically, I picked this up independently (and ended up liking the series a lot better than Harry Dresden) and didn't even realize until later that they had been written by the same person. You're right that they are completely different in style and theme.

Evgeny Lilia wrote: ""This is not Harry Dresden series."

I mentioned this before: I saw the low ratings for this series where the only reason for such was that it was not Dresden Files. Whatever this series faults, this one it is not. Thus I had to repeat this idea several times :)

Lilia Ford Is it true that the furies were based on Pokemon? If so, wow, just wow. I am not a fan of Pokemon--in fact of all the shows my sons have watched over the years, that's high on the list of most annoying.

Evgeny Lilia wrote: "Is it true that the furies were based on Pokemon? If so, wow, just wow. I am not a fan of Pokemon--in fact of all the shows my sons have watched over the years, that's high on the list of most an..."

Yes, it is a well-known fact. I think there is an interview with Butcher on Youtube where he confirms this.

message 33: by S.M. (new)

S.M. West Great review, Evgeny. Sounds interesting. And I must say, I had a good laugh at some of the cheeky comments around is this a "Harry Dresden series"? LOL

Evgeny Suzanne wrote: "Great review, Evgeny. Sounds interesting. And I must say, I had a good laugh at some of the cheeky comments around is this a "Harry Dresden series"? LOL"

Thank you Suzanne! :D

message 35: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin This sounds great. I need to move this up on the To Read pile. Great review!

Evgeny Thanks. It is great mindless entertainment.

message 37: by Ibrahim (new)

Ibrahim I had a surgery 3 days ago, I read what u wrote and I couldn't stop laughing; I bled! And I hold u accountable!
Now gonna see this through, sounds fun.

Evgeny Ibrahim wrote: "I had a surgery 3 days ago, I read what u wrote and I couldn't stop laughing; I bled! And I hold u accountable!
Now gonna see this through, sounds fun."

Well, I am happy I was able to lessen your pain from surgery even if your stitches were bleeding. I wish you a speedy recovery!

message 39: by J.D. (new) - added it

J.D. Carabella I did not know this was based on a bet!

Evgeny J.D. wrote: "I did not know this was based on a bet!"

It was; Butcher talked about it in an interview.

Choko Great review friend!!! I still want to read it badly:-)

Evgeny Choko wrote: "Great review friend!!! I still want to read it badly:-)"

Thank you! Finish Black Company first :)

Franklin Brantley Can't forget starcraft's zerg(Vord)

message 44: by Lala_Loopsie (new) - added it

Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen] Feel like i have to read it now... Great review, Evgeny!! ♥

Evgeny Lala_Loopsie wrote: "Feel like i have to read it now... Great review, Evgeny!! ♥"

Thank you Lala! Try the first book; if you do not like it stop. The rest are similar in style.

Jamie Hahahaha I had no idea about the Pokémon bit! I love it even more now, thank you!

message 47: by Dizzy (new)

Dizzy Lmfao.!! Awesome review. Dresden brought me here so thanks for the heads up. However.. Romans and pokemon. . still sounds awesome so thanks for the heads up.

Evgeny Jamie wrote: "Hahahaha I had no idea about the Pokémon bit! I love it even more now, thank you! "

Glad I was of help :)

Evgeny Dizzy wrote: "Lmfao.!! Awesome review. Dresden brought me here so thanks for the heads up. However.. Romans and pokemon. . still sounds awesome so thanks for the heads up."

Thank you Dizzy!