Jami's Reviews > What I Saw and How I Lied

What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell

Dec 22, 2008

bookshelves: national-book-award, young-adult
Read from May 29 to July 02, 2011

Excellent historical fiction. The story is set in the aftermath of World War II, and the setting, clothing, fads, even the whole tone of the book felt very authentic to the time period. I can very much appreciate the amount of research and work that went into this novel.

This is a coming of age story, and what I loved about it was how the heroine, Evie, very much acted her age. I get tired of young adult novels where the main character is so confident, mature, and wordly that she hardly acts like any teen I've ever known. I loved that 15-year-old Evie actually resonated as a young adult who desperately wants to be a grown-up but still has many young tendancies and flaws. And in fact, when Evie does finally get into much sought-after adult situations, she finds herself in over her head and flounders as the young girl she actually is.

But it's not all about being young, either. Evie learns a great deal during the early fall when she takes an extended vacation with her parents to Florida. She learns very clearly about the reality, and harshness, of racism. She learns what it means to take responsibilty and to face real, sometimes dire, consequences for actions made. She is forced to grow up in ways she never anticipated and must realize that being an adult is perhaps not all she had once thought it to be.

The story was very well-written, and I look forward to reading more by Judy Blundell.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Saw and How I Lied.

Tatiana Too bad Blundell only has 2 books:( I would so want to read more of her historical fiction. Strings Attached is good too.

Jami Oh man, that is a disappointment!