Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)'s Reviews > Only in My Dreams

Only in My Dreams by Eve Byron

Dec 22, 2008

bookshelves: bbw-heroine, historical-romance, girl-power, marriage, hero-in-pursuit, hero-to-die-for, heroine-i-adore, owned-copy, part-of-a-series, regency, beta-hero, beauty-is-in-the-eye, favorites
Recommended for: fans of great heroes, fans of plus size heroines in romance novels

There is so much to love about this story. Baroness Lorelei Winters is used to being made fun of and ridiculed by the Ton for her red hair, her tall, abundant body (certainly not fashionably thin), and her outspokenness. Enter Adrian, Viscount Dane, mild-mannered, but upstart American who has just inherited a title. Their eyes meet across the room, and Adrian knows that he's found the woman of his dreams. I loved it. He declares his affections for her in front of all the people who had made fun of her, and proceeds to pursue her until she agrees to marry him. Although Adrian needs to marry, he is 100% sincere in his admiration and attraction to Lorelei. If he's going to marry, it will be this marveous Goddess in his eyes.

This book doesn't have the misunderstandings and the breakups that never fail to frustrate me in otherwise good romance novels. It's about the development of a marriage of two people who are deeply drawn to each other but have lessons to learn. I loved the wedding night scene and all the other love scenes. They aren't explicit at all, but the passion is there in spades, giving them a sensual, and meaningful feel. Just perfect for this story. You see that both Lorelei and Adrian have some adjustments to make in being married. Lorelei is used to being independent and has to learn to integrate a husband into her life. Adrian has to learn how to have a wife who will always be independent and outspoken. And then there's the fact that technically Adrian is on the enemy side of the brewing war between England and America (The War of 1812).

I liked that Adrian's gentle support and adoration of Lorelei allowed her to open up and become more vulnerable in a good way. I liked that Lorelei reciprocates Adrian's feelings, although she doesn't quite understand what he thinks is so wonderful about her. I admired Lorelei's strength and intelligence, and her warm nature that she had despite being treated so badly. I liked that she wasn't ugly in her behavior or prickly towards Adrian because of fears and her feelings of being unwanted and rejected.

Ms. Byron did a great job of not allowing Lorelei's size to be the elephant in the room. It was a part of her that Adrian accepted and appreciated about Lorelei just like everything else. There is one scene where he tries to pick her up and carry her and he throws his back out. It was a great scene because it showed that just because a hero can't pick you up and carry you because you aren't dainty doesn't mean that he can't find you desirable and adore you just as much. I know I've read enough romances to wonder about whether there are cases where a man can't carry the woman because of her weight.

It was a lovely book to read. I loved it so much, I 'pimped' it out three of my online bookfriends who lived overseas. I found copies at the used bookstore and mailed them out to my friends.

I had never heard of Eve Byron before I read this book. After reading it, I bought every book she wrote that I could find. She is a solid author, but this book is definitely my favorite by her. She definitely made a fan of me with this wonderful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only in My Dreams.

message 1: by ChloeLeeNH (new) - added it

ChloeLeeNH Wow what a good friend to give this book to others :)... It sounds like a great read... I am going to have to go searching now! :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I hope you enjoy it. I didn't mind doing it. I like matching people with books. :)

seton I adored Eve Byron's Tempt Me Not trilogy but this series was really dull.

I remember finding Lorelei's self-doubt about her Junoesque chubby proportions very tiresome.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Definitely My Lord Stranger didn't enthrall me as much as this one. I could identify with her self doubt. Imagine always being ridiculed by everyone and this handsome guy comes and seems to adore you. It might take a while for it to sink in. I guess that's how I see it, but I can see where you're coming from.
I do agree, the Tempt Me Not trilogy was excellent and enthralling.

Mydearloverboy I can't find this book anywhere;(
can u tell me where I can get it?
thx in advance;)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Sorry for the late reply. You might try Amazon.com for a used copy.