Dianne's Reviews > Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin

Sep 03, 2012

bookshelves: animal-related

I was fortunate to see Ms. Grandin in 1984 when I was in College and studying Special Education. She was showcased on a Segment of "Oprah" on a show about "Idiot Savants" I remember as vividly now, how angry I was then, that they referred to any of the People, whom I felt they were exploiting for the financial gain of the Psychologist who had been studying them since their childhood. Still, I was doing my Undergraduate Thesis on Autism and while biting my lip a few times, watched in fascination as Ms. Grandin would "snap out of her inner world" for a moment and say or do something remarkable. Unfortunately, the "What" at this point has failed my memory.

I read this book when it was first published in 2005. It didn't surprise me that she had the ability to communicate with animals. My own research had led me to the argument that Autism and Animal Communication were so tightly entwined that one day someone would crack that code.

This book is well written. It will leave you teary eyed at times, while just fascinate you at others. This is a must read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals in Translation.