James's Reviews > Mommy Knows Worst: Highlights from the Golden Age of Bad Parenting Advice

Mommy Knows Worst by James Lileks

Dec 22, 2008

bookshelves: children, culture-and-politics, entertainment-and-recreation, gender-issues, household, humor, general-science-math-technology
Read in December, 2008

Hard to tell which is more amazing, that the gems of lunatic advice - either "received wisdom" in the form of folk customs, or pseudoscientific weirdness from doctors and other professionals dispensing the current state of their art with total assurance.

As a family therapist, I enjoyed this book more than I would have if it hadn't focused on this area; that makes some of the content funnier, and reminded me poignantly of some of the dogma I learned in grad school, presented just as authoritatively by professors as some items in this book, only to be debunked and drastically changed - with equal certainty - a few years later.

This would be a great gift for someone who is about to become a parent... laughter is good medicine for reducing stress and pain during delivery.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mommy Knows Worst.

10/03/2016 marked as: read