Laurieann's Reviews > The Hole in Our Gospel: What Does God Expect of Us? the Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World

The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns

U 50x66
Sep 03, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2011

Richard Stearns' awakening journey from priviliged CEO of Lenox to heading up an organization that exists to serve the poorest and neediest, is certainly an experience worth sharing. By doing so, he challenges Christians to take a hard look at their own walk to see how closely it truly parallels with that of Christ. He presents a thought-provoking case backed up with pretty graphic facts.

In spite of his valid message, I had difficulty focusing on what he was trying to convey without being tainted by the fact that he came from a place that allowed him to afford such a drastic life change. His journey is doubtless a selfless response to God's call. Yet, I couldn't get past the feeling that the story was more about his own journey and introspection. Thankfully, there are those in high places that can serve on a greater scale. Yet, there are so many who gladly serve and sacrifice with what they have on a daily basis without second thought. To imply that Christians, as a whole, are spiritually uncommitted is unfair stereotyping. Perhaps Stearns should have truly experienced what those here at home are accomplishing in His name.

~ This book was provided to me, for free, by Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze review program. I was not paid for a review, nor required to provide a positive review. My opinions are just that, my opinions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hole in Our Gospel.