Praj's Reviews > Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity

Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo

Sep 03, 2012

liked it

It’s been a distressful morning. The milkman won’t be delivering the daily liter of milk; his house was razed by the local municipality. The family of six has to do with a makeshift shanty to prevent them from drowning in the dense showers of late night rains. Futile visits to the local political corporator and pleading to a rigid money-lender for a loan is what his weekly schedule looks like. Troublesome as it is for a detour to the supermarket for packaged milk, my domestic help decided to call it a day as it is the last day to confirm her receipt for a governmental pension of her deceased alcoholic husband. For all those vicious thrashings and numerous marital abuses she stomached for a decade, she truly deserved the so-called posthumous alimony; although a pitiful sum. Oh! What a wretched day it is!! Not only do I have to check the availability of another maid, but go and pick my dry cleaning as the delivery boy was arrested for trying to sell vegetables on the street corner disregarding any philanthropic duties to the patrolling authorities. Dear Lord! Am I the only victim of such suffrage? Mercifully, my chauffeur seems to have escaped from any such problematic liabilities. His tardiness has got me a bit worried on missing my blow-dry appointment. However, I reckon shifting the spa-medic detoxification an hour later could comfortably ease the tea-garden brunch.
It’s still 9am and I’m half way through my anti-bacterial wipes. I need to make quick stop at the local pharmacy for more supplies; but the snail speed of this wretched sedan is making me perspire through the cool air of the designed interiors, dreading the inevitable. A knock on the window and I’m in no mood of indulging an urchin while fretting over the scarcity of the anti-germ armament. Few more taps and he moves on to the next door amongst the sea of vehicles. Bombay traffic; oh so nauseating! Couple red lights and I’m ready for a literary dialogue over freshly brewed oolong. As I alight from the car, a pair of white retinas stares at me with a half-broken smile. The offering of green pistachios macaroons seemed supplementary to the actual fancy; a few more arguments over the importance of food and then the ultimate dispensing of monetary funds. The cool sea breeze brushing my cheeks sarcastically mocks the cup of warm tea. I’m finally at peace. Argh! This unnerving stench rising from a nearby engulfment of reclaimed land festering with juxtaposed shoddy shanties ruins the temporary nirvana. Such a disgrace for a posh high-rise! I must take up this issue at the upcoming Housing meeting.

While meticulously placing their cups avoiding the untimely melody of their exquisite china, the urban snobs critique twirling their freshly sprayed coifs; applauded the heroic effort of a certain Katherine Boo for having the balls to submit herself to the putrid cocktail of sewage stench and decaying garbage for nearly four years. It is indeed a medal of honor; elsewhere the opinionated lecturer making a run out of the narrow congested lanes before the eau de cologne evaporates from their handkerchiefs. Katherine, in a news interview said that after her research on the inner-city housing in Oklahoma city, she was curious about the institution of poverty. What ways do the ‘poor’ people execute to get out their impoverish survival? How did they thrive in the existing circumstances? What would you want me to say? To pronounce, that poverty has become the selling point of Indian literary panorama? Does romanticizing poverty give a feel of diving into some kind of exotic uncharted waters? Or does it give one’s heart a philanthropic illusion? On an eventful itinerary to India pick out a slum and pen the daily events of a close knitted neighborhood huddled together in congested housing. If, appreciated by the designated literary elites, spare a thought towards the unfortunate over overtly publicized Literary fest and if Boyle &Co. decides to take another shot at the Oscars; Hallelujah!!! Stories are not only born in slums, allow the tales to pass through through many corners of the vast Indian landscapes. The residents of Annawadi are audacious, unafraid and above all optimistic dreamers. Poverty is the biggest crime. It is better to be a cold-blooded murderer, but it is a sin to be poor. To be poor is to be guilty of one or another thing. Commiserating Raja Kamble- the toilet cleaner; rag picker Sunil, one-legged Sita and the vulnerable Asha who dreams to be the first ever slumlord demeans their very existence. Applaud these residents of Annawadi through the lines of this text as they struggle through the dodgy circumstances with true grit; for if it was one of us we would sooner or later walk the path of death.

In a land where the supermarket does not boast ten different brands of toothpastes, give an Ayn Rand to a youth standing in the ration line and see a potent explosive rise. Crony capitalism, corruption, poverty and economic disparity are necessary evils in a country that is racing at an hare’s speed to meet the global finishing line. The sinister underbelly of Mumbai proliferates with every rise and fall in oil trade stocks. Does that give a leeway to the privileged to dig deep in the trenches and frolic in the slush? Stop romanticizing poverty!! Recognize the white elephant in the room and pen an epic of crony capitalism and its hoarders. Wouldn't it then be fun to see a panel of illustrious erudite critique the printed words. Would they find it rewarding as the scriptures of impecunious nether world or dismiss it as an unpatriotic insanity like they do with most of Arundhati Roy’s books. There my dearies lay the valid underbelly of a blossoming India and not through impoverished assiduous lives.

I reckon the raspberry macaroons go very well with oolong and I might skip the Housing meeting . As for my concerned nirvana I’ll just spray some Comme des Garçons,

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Beautiful Forevers.

02/21/2016 marked as: read

Nandakishore Varma I would like to see your review of this one. :D

message 2: by Scribble (new) - added it

Scribble Orca Ah. So glad to see that absence not only makes the ventricles and aorta grow more affectionate, but the acerbic pith of your wisdom ever more piquant.

I had TBRed this on the recommendation of a favourite writer....how can one's idols dare to be so contrary?

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Praj just came riding back into town, and she's doing it in style.

Praj Hibernation does spring out the unknown.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Happy to be dazzled again Praj!

Praj Thanks Paul:D. Nice to see you!

message 7: by Jana (new)

Jana You've been missed.

Praj Jana wrote: "You've been missed."

Long time no see, my dearest!

message 9: by Jana (new)

Jana But you really are my dearest here.

message 10: by Jana (last edited Feb 12, 2013 01:57AM) (new)

Jana Buckley said a kingdom for a kiss upon her shoulder. A kingdom for your posthibernation eloquence.

message 11: by Praj (new) - rated it 3 stars

Praj Eloquence may just be a mere a reason for a warm embrace which never went cold:)

Tanvi 'stop romanticising poverty'. Bang on.

message 13: by Nandakishore (last edited Jun 03, 2013 07:10AM) (new) - added it

Nandakishore Varma I wonder, if India ever succeeds in eradicating (or at least reducing) poverty, we will be left with nothing to sell on the literary market.

message 14: by Mohit (new) - added it

Mohit Parikh Completely sympathize with your anger. I am angry myself.

Michelle Disagree totally !

Irene I personally have met someone from the "upper caste" who still looks down her nose at all those who are lower, and brags about her family's servants, who I know are little more than slaves. I refuse to call this woman a "friend", although many in NYC do. The elite could easily afford to increase the salaries of their servants 100% and that would give them incredibly better lives, but they don't. So I also agree with your anger.

message 17: by Mohit (new) - added it

Mohit Parikh Praj,sharing a piece that got published recently. Thought you would like it:

Irene Mohit wrote: "Praj,sharing a piece that got published recently. Thought you would like it:

This is what I would like to think the global economy has allowed India to have, a middle-class--that gives me hope.

message 19: by Mohit (new) - added it

Mohit Parikh Irene wrote: "Mohit wrote: "Praj,sharing a piece that got published recently. Thought you would like it:
This is what I would like to think the ..."

True that. A large middle class or service class has emerged. I have some inklings to the answer, still I'd like to ask: how does it give you hope?

message 20: by Praj (new) - rated it 3 stars

Praj Mohit wrote: "Praj,sharing a piece that got published recently. Thought you would like it:

Mohit, this article is lovely. Thanks! I agree with you on the debatable "hope" stance. India is much more than progressive urbanization. The increase in the demographics of middles -class may look good on economic graphs. But the real question is, what are the people looking at? The means to be upper crust elites, irrespective to their societal and economic standings.

Thanks again:)

message 21: by Praj (new) - rated it 3 stars

Praj Irene wrote: "I personally have met someone from the "upper caste" who still looks down her nose at all those who are lower, and brags about her family's servants, who I know are little more than slaves. I refu..."

Thanks, for your elucidations, Irene. And thanks for relating to my words.

Irene "Mohit wrote: How does it give you hope?"
I believe economic opportunity for all is what enables the people of any country to attain better lives. I am hoping that is what's happening in India--better than the slave labor of China. The U.S.A. of the 1950's and 60's was like that (open opportunity). Now the corporate elite in the U.S. are taking it away and the U.S. is losing its middle class. It's sad.

message 23: by Samadrita (new) - added it

Samadrita This review is Wow! And then some.
Stories are not only born in slums, allow the tales to pass through through many corners of the vast Indian landscapes." - I will return to it in the future again and again.