Alisa Hedden's Reviews > The Inner Circle

The Inner Circle by Robert Swartwood

F 50x66
Sep 03, 2012

If you were lucky enough to read “Man of Wax” you will already have an idea of the background involved in this story. If not, “The Inner Circle” can work as a standalone novel, but you will understand more if you have read the first novel in what is looking to be an excellent trilogy. Definitely not light, entertaining fiction. Instead this is a book that delves into the darker side of human nature and an examination of the Edmund Burke quote “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”. Exactly how far would you go to stop an evil larger than you? That spreads beyond your life and randomly attacks innocent people? What would you sacrifice? How many battles could you fight before deciding that you have had enough? Or, would you have the strength to fight to the end, even though the end will take your own life, too?

We are back with Ben, Carver, the Kid and the rest of the gang as they try to rescue players from “the Game”. A reality show that first takes your family, then forces you to destroy everything about yourself that you thought was good, or an essential part of your self. This part also examines more closely the type of people that would be involved in a reality show like this, from the people that run interference to make sure the “gamer” performs as ordered to the people that pay to watch the games. We also get the first real introduction to Caesar and asked the question “What was the greatest thing the Roman Empire gave the world.” The answer is not roads (just a clue).

We had to wait almost a year for the second installment of this trilogy. I am eagerly awaiting part three!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inner Circle.