Shiloh's Reviews > Fade

Fade by A.K. Morgen

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, mythology, netgalley, young-adult, dnf

Disclaimer: Curiosity Quills Press provided a free electronic ARC of this book for review purposes.

Further disclaimer: this is a DNF (did-not-finish) review. I got about a third of the way through the book before I gave up.

I requested this book from Netgalley because of the Norse. A look at my bookshelves will tell you that I love modernizations of mythologies, especially Norse, Celtic, Arthurian, etc.

I didn't love this. And here's why.

Insta-Love
Not just insta-love, but insta-soulmates. The moment Arionna lays eyes on Dace, she can think of nothing else. She's insta-obssessed, can think of nothing else, talk to people about nothing else, do nothing else but try to meet up with him again. He makes her feel better, completely erasing her grief over her mother's death. WTF? After she meets him, nothing else in her life is remotely important, and after reading her babble about him for 75 pages, I felt like Xander watching Willow's book report presentation in "Restless."

"Oh, who CARES?!"

Grief-Erasure
Arionna's mother has just died. Like a few days to maybe a week or so ago. The pain is still raw at first, until Dace's soothing presence makes itself known, at which point the whole thing becomes a side note. Not that it was very well written to begin with, since we never get to see a single memory of Arionna with her mother. She says, frequently, that she misses her and life will never be the same, but we never get to see why, at least in the first 100 pages or so, except for a passing mention that she always helped Arionna get ready for the first day of school and now it won't be the same. Having lost my father-in-law just over a month ago, I know that the grief isn't just a constant oppressive force, but comes with memories, often ones that make it worse for a time.

Non-moving Plot
Serious. For 100 pages, nothing happens except that Arionna meets a lot of people. Most notably, of course, Dace. But also some other people. Who I can't tell apart (and not just because three of them are a set of triplets). None of them have a distinct, easily discernable personality. Not even Arionna. There's some hint that Something Is Weird, especially with Dace, who's probably a wolfy shape-shifter of some kind. And so is the creepy dude she met at the rave. But none of that is even directly hinted at--for a hundred pages. Possibly more. Normally I'm fine with books that are heavy on character development and light on action (see my review of The Catswold Portal, for example), but they have to be interesting characters and there has to be a distinct end-game that their development is working toward. This had neither.

Add to the above complaints a lot of telling instead of showing, especially about emotions and personalities (Dace is an "old soul?" Really? Show me), and you've got a book that I just could not continue to plow through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fade.

September 3, 2012 – Started Reading
September 3, 2012 – Shelved
September 3, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 3, 2012 – Shelved as: mythology
September 3, 2012 – Shelved as: netgalley
September 3, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 5, 2012 –
page 59
18.44% "Insta-soulmates AND insta-relief-from-grief-over-death-of-a-loved-one. Oye."
September 5, 2012 – Finished Reading