Janice's Reviews > Déjà Dead

Sep 03, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: popular-craptacular
Read in September, 2012

"i was killed by curiosity like a finely tuned cat."

that was not, actually, one of the many similes this book is drowning in, but it may as well have been. some real examples:

"In my mind’s eye I could see her standing at a pay phone, scanning her surroundings, her eyes never resting, broadcasting fear like Radio Free Europe."

or

"She was thin as soup in a homeless shelter"

or

"For the third time in as many days I saw daybreak, an event I embrace as eagerly as Joe Montana welcomes an all-out blitz."

i don't even know what that means.

not to mention such general sparklers as:

"I had enough pharmaceuticals in me to numb the Iraqi army ..."

the iraqi army is an odd choice for a book published in 1998, though i guess it takes place in 1994. still, odd choice for a book that takes place in 1994. unless there was some iraqi army drug scandal i'm forgetting all about. or was the iraqi army the lasting symbol of "a big group of people who it would take a lot of drugs to numb" back in 1994?

it may be that i only read this book because i've been feeling really negative about almost everything i've read recently, and my reviews have fallen on a spectrum from cranky to brutal, which may or may not be fair. might as well read something that i know i would hate, right? the sad truth is that when i was bored last winter i watched some of the t.v. show bones, which is based on these books. smart science lady who is smart and says smart science-y stuff and figures out stuff in a smart way? (i am also smart, as is evidenced by the previous sentence.) sign me up!

but the "same" character in this book says things like:

"I watched him walk away, admiring once again the way he filled his 501’s."

and constantly comments on how she can't quite figure something out, there's something she's missing, there's a piece of the puzzle that doesn't fit. all the while, i'm screaming at the book, "i can tell you what you're missing! it's fucking obvious!"

also, this book would be half the size if any of these near-interchangeable characters actually told each other anything. they're supposed to be running an investigation. together.

or maybe a decent editor would have sufficed.

the final reality is that i just didn't care about anyone in this book. well, that's not true. i really liked the lead character's cat. so maybe i finished the book to find out what happened to the cat. (view spoiler) or maybe i finished it so i could exorcise my book crankiness and take it all out on kathy reichs.

we'll see. watch out, Woman in the Dunes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Déjà Dead.

02/09/2016 marked as: read

Xin Le I sort of agree with you LOLs

Katy M I read your review before reading the book, and I thought you were being a little picky about "too many" similes. But after reading the book, had to find your review again so I could tell you that you were right on. All the "like"s were distracting and almost made me feel like a valley girl had written this book, LOL. I actually did like some of the similes. Not being a morning person, I actually smiled at the morning being as much appreciated as an all out blitz, but she really should have picked her top 5 or so and dropped the rest.

message 3: by Adam (new)

Adam Francomb some of those are bad but some make me want to read the book lol

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda I liked your review. Thanks for saving me the effort of reading a book I would set aside after a few chapters. I cannot stand reading books laden with metaphors. It is distracting, and to me, amateurish. Overuse of metaphors is a lazy way to write a book. The author can resort to use of metaphors rather than writing something original.

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Fantastic! I was going to write my own review but yours is spot on.

message 6: by Tom (new) - rated it 1 star

Tom Moran another perfect review for this brutal read.

Sophia Nelson This is hilarious! She was obviously trying so hard. She failed. I liked some of her puns (see Tanguay, broker for queers) but it was just awful in general. I wanted murder m mystery, not murder "I know what's going to happen but for some reason the detective doesn't".

message 8: by Tm (new)