Katy's Reviews > Ameca J and the Revenge of Rex-Ultar

Ameca J and the Revenge of Rex-Ultar by Paul Xavier Jones

Sep 02, 2012

bookshelves: ebook
Recommended to Katy by: Paul Xavier Jones
Recommended for: MG fantasy w/ sensitive reader warning

Book Info: Genre: Fantasy
Reading Level: Middle-Grade
Book Available Book will be released by Storyteller Publishing on Dec. 13, 2012
Recommended for: Middle-Grade on up, with the caveat that more sensitive readers should be monitored for distress

My Thoughts: I read and reviewed the first book in this middle-grade fantasy series two weeks ago. You can find the link to that review here, if you are reading this review on a site that allows links and formatting. If not, then go to Goodreads or my blog (Now is Gone) to read the review and you will be able to view the links and formatting.

Did I say the last book was lighthearted? Never mind that – this one gets really dark, really fast. Like the Harry Potter books, what starts out as lighthearted and fun quickly turns very serious and very scary. I would ensure younger readers are not prone to nightmares before having them read it. That said, there is plenty of action, magic, adventure and enjoyment to be had from this book.

The story takes place about equally on Earth and Mythrania, hopping between the quest group and Kian’s group on Mythrania dealing with the events there. It flows smoothly between the two sets of action, breaking at reasonable places and letting the reader keep up with the overstory while maintaining the flow necessary to keep one reading.

The book ends on a cliffhanger, fair warning, so if you’re the type who needs to know what happens next, you may want to collect the entire series before you start reading. Recommended for fans of swords and sorcery, quest fantasy, King Arthur and Briton mythology.

Series information: “Ameca J and the Legacy of Menindus”: – Part I of the Ameca J Chronicles - releasing 10/09/12
Ameca J and the Revenge of Lex-Ultar”: – Part II of the Ameca J Chronicles - releasing 12/13/12
Ameca J and the Demon God of Mythrania”: – Part III of the Ameca J Chronicles - releasing early 2013
Ameca J and the Rise of the Serpii”: – Part IV of the Ameca J Chronicles, release date unknown
See my review of “ Ameca J and the Legacy of Menindus ” by clicking the link here or in the opening sentences after My Thoughts.

Disclosure: I received a free early reviewer’s ebook copy from the author (who is a member of my LinkedIn network) in exchange for an honest review. The synopsis contains spoilers if you have not yet read the first book, but this synopsis is taken straight from the publisher, so there was no avoiding it. For sites where such is allowed, the spoilers are hidden unless you choose to read them. For other sites, that part of the synopsis is removed from my review; it makes sense (mostly) without those phrases.

Synopsis: In Book I of the Ameca J Chronicles, Ameca aka The Flame, Fraya aka The Flower, and Paul aka The One are the heirs of Menindus, each with fabulous, magical powers. Previously thought to be normal people from Earth, the father and daughters had been magically transported to the land of Mythrania where they successfully battled the Scelestus, the evil entity bent on domination of the entire universe—or was it successful?

In Book II, (view spoiler) Seeking the guidance of Menindus, the ancient Magi tells the girls they must leave Mythrania and return to their own world, taking three companions with them on a quest to recover a powerful magical artefact that has the ability to return the dead to life or make the living immortal.

But all is not as they left it on their world. Their mother has been abducted—and so have they—according to the newspapers. The girls must contend with the police, who are trying to “rescue” them; Lord Bellatrix, the High Priest of the Scelestus, who is implementing a plan to enslave humanity; and the immortal Rex-Ultar, who has been waiting for them ever since Menindus killed his father, centuries ago. While they are occupied on their quest, the Scelestus’ agents continue their work to dominate the Kingdoms of Mythrania by infecting the population with a disease that turns them into almost indestructible, flesh-eating monsters.

Can Ameca, Fraya and their companions recover the artefact and stop Bellatrix, rescue their mother and return to Mythrania (view spoiler) before the Kingdoms are overrun and the Scelestus returns triumphant?

Look out evil... here come the girls... again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ameca J and the Revenge of Rex-Ultar.

September 2, 2012 – Shelved
September 2, 2012 – Shelved as: ebook
September 14, 2012 – Started Reading
September 14, 2012 –
page 102
37.36% "Been reading for a couple hours now, but the cats wouldn't let me get to the computer to update. now I need to clear out all my email ... eep!"
page 157
57.51% "Definitely not as light as the first book in the series; parents should be sure their younger readers are not prone to nightmares before letting them read it."
page 182
66.67% "These "infected" are freakin' scary; makes me wonder if the Cauldron of Rebirth is gonna make an appearance..."
page 217
79.49% "I know that normally, by this time of the weekend, I've have finished and reviewed 2 or 3 books, but I'm just not feeling well this weekend, so you'll have to forgive the lack of action here and on my blog."
September 15, 2012 – Finished Reading