Christine (AR)'s Reviews > Brethren

Dec 21, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: historicalfiction, romance
Read in March, 2009

Psychotic, gay-married pirates in Jamaica during the 1660's.

Definitely one of the better gay romances I've read, but admittedly, my standards have gotten pretty low. The main character is, for want of a better way to put it, compassionately amoral, and that made it very hard for me to like him. For example, he risks his life and freedom to free a wrongly imprisoned man, but the five other people who die in the rescue attempt don't merit a single regret. Or a thought, even. He views the world as divided between wolves and sheep, and makes the distinction primarily on whether or not a person agrees with him. He's also very long-winded, but overall, the story was kind of interesting, so it isn't a complete waste of time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brethren.

03/02/2009 page 45
8.32% "1st person (sigh) but so far? The main character is likable, the writing is fun and literate, and I'm going to shut up now before I jinx it."

Punk Hm, sounds like I might want to try harder to get this from the library before I take the easy way out and buy it. Interlibrary Loan, here I come! And now all my coworkers will know I read gay pirate books.

Christine (AR) Punk wrote: "Hm, sounds like I might want to try harder to get this from the library before I take the easy way out and buy it. Interlibrary Loan, here I come! And now all my coworkers will know I read gay pira..."

Definitely a library book, imo. Still a lot of fun, though, so if you can get it, you may as well give it a shot. :)