Danielle Smiley's Reviews > Surrender

Read from September 02 to 07, 2012

Genre: Paranormal Romance, Suspense/Thriller, Urban Fantasy
Publisher Type: Independent

My Review:
True to form, Aimee Laine has written yet another amazingly romantic and suspenseful book! Her novels are the best of both worlds, taking us on a stunning romantic journey all the while shocking us with must-hold-your-breath suspense!!! This is just crazy, my friends, these books are just that good!!!

In Surrender we continue getting to know the entire gang we first met in book 1, Little White Lies, but the focus is squarely on Lilly and Cael. Lilly is a unique character; she's vulnerable and gentle and more than a bit unsure of herself. Throughout the book we get to understand the reasons behind her insecurities and, even though she's not your typical kick-butt heroine, you can't help but absolutely adore her. She is strong in a quiet, subtle way and has admirable courage. Cael is this steady (and smoldering) rock. He's obviously very much in love with Lilly (we saw that in book 1) and it takes some time to understand why he's been "just a friend" for so long. Cael .... I'm struggling for words here .... is just so absolutely what you want from your guy. He's Lilly's champion: fighting for her, going crazy with worry and anger that someone would hurt her. He's her best friend: supportive and encouraging. He deeply loves her: accepting of even her darkest secret. And --again-- wow, Ms. Laine, how do you manage to verbalize love so well?!?

Now if all this stunningly-well-written romance wasn't enough for you, then there's the suspense/thriller part of story. Yikes! The book barely begins and someone's grabbed Lilly! Craziness is afoot and the plot twists and turns like the Amazon River. There's conspiracy and questionable intentions. You just don't know who Lilly can trust! I do want to note that though there's Lilly's abusive past and a missing teen girl as central components to this story, it never gets too dark for those of us who don't do truly dark and scary stuff.

The ending is so, so, sooooo good! There's so many good things there and then there's some cliff hanging that makes you hungry for book 3. It's pretty clear who book 3 will be about, but I'll leave you in suspense. **wink, wink**

Cover Art:
This isn't your typical, "oh so pretty" cover. Nonetheless, how could you not be intrigued and pick this book right up?!?

See more of my reviews on my blog, Known to Read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender.