Lisa's Reviews > Valley of the Dolls

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann

F 50x66
Dec 20, 2008

it was ok

I have read this book several times and seen the movie, so I'm very familiar with the story line: three young women in New York City in the 1940s through the 1960s, living the fabulous life as famous singers, actresses and models. The title of the book, of course, refers to the fact that even when you "have it all," you don't--and all three end up getting hooked on pills to help them sleep, lose weight and have energy. It's not an earthshaking piece of important literature, but it is a fun read. The reason I didn't give it more than two stars is because of how culturally dated it is. I hadn't read the book in a while and was really put off by the attitude of every female character in the book that all they really wanted was a husband and children--and that they would give up everything else for that. And the attitude of many of the men in the book--that it's ok for men to cheat on their wives, but not for wives to cheat on their husbands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Valley of the Dolls.