Jackie's Reviews > The School of Essential Ingredients

The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister

Dec 20, 2008

bookshelves: work-review-related-reading, 5-star, cooking-crafting

***oops--I misposted this review with the wrong book earlier this week. Sorry! I'm blaming holiday craziness!

This is a glorious book. It's about food as a touchstone and a means for memory, community, nurturing, healing, loving, seduction, sustenance, pleasure, joy, beginning, endings--life. It is the story of a cooking class that learns far more than culinary skills at the hands of a chef whose wisdom is not limited to food stuffs. The language is lush and decadent, rolling off the page and into your mind like a drug. I could taste, smell, see and feel everything as if I was indeed standing at the prep table myself. This is Bauermeister's first novel, but the power and magic in her prose tells me that it is far from her last.

Fans of Harris's Chocolat will be crazy about this book, but I would recommend it for foodies of any sort, and really just about anyone--this book casts a powerful spell that makes you see, feel and taste the world, even your memories, in a new, deep, consuming way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The School of Essential Ingredients.

December 20, 2008 – Shelved
December 20, 2008 – Shelved as: work-review-related-reading
Started Reading
December 21, 2008 – Finished Reading
December 25, 2008 – Shelved as: 5-star
December 25, 2008 – Shelved as: cooking-crafting

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I loved Chocolat. I will definitely add this to my (large) to read list. Thanks, Jackie.
Jess