Kirsty Stanley's Reviews > Instructions for Dancing

Instructions for Dancing by Nicola Yoon

5208770

bookshelves: own-as-e-book, read-in-2021

The perfect summer read with an excellent life lesson - and I’m not talking about the dancing. With a dash of the supernatural/magical realism this reminds me of films like Freaky Friday and this book would make an awesome film.

Although the love most focused on is romantic, friendship and familial love also plays a role and the other relationship we see Evie struggle with is between her and her dad.

I really felt for Evie and could sense her hurt oozing from the page. X is the quintessential book boyfriend but, like she threw away her favourite romance books, will Evie throw him away too? I’m sure plenty of us would happily be his new dancing partner if she does.

Seeing everyone else’s comments on the tour with talk of needing tissues meant I started reading with some trepidation because expectations!!! I’m not sure if this helped me figure something out but oddly enough for me I didn’t cry. I found it sweet, uplifting and just the right side of saccharine - with one scene reminiscent of Disney’s Up.

That’s two of Nicola Yoon’s books now I’ve read and enjoyed so I’m going to grab the third one and keep an eye out for any future releases.

I received a gifted eARC for the purposes of an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Instructions for Dancing.

June 11, 2021 – Started Reading
June 11, 2021 – Shelved
June 11, 2021 – Shelved as: read-in-2021
June 11, 2021 – Shelved as: own-as-e-book
June 11, 2021 –
page 0
0.0% "Reading this for my spot on the blog tour. A little worried I won’t have enough tissues based on the crying emojis in our tour group 😱"
June 11, 2021 –