Sarah's Reviews > The Tube Riders

The Tube Riders by Chris  Ward

Sep 01, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, abandoned, giveaways-won

I got this book for free through Goodreads First Reads (go up to the top menu, where there is a drop-down arrow next to 'Explore', and look at 'Giveaways'!)

While waiting for this book to arrive...my main intrigue is to why a book set in the London Underground has a Deltic on the front cover :-)

****
26th Dec 2012
I got about 20% of the way through the book, and just didn't engage with any of the characters. I don't think it's anything to do with the way it is written, but me as a reader - perhaps I'm not the intended audience for this, perhaps I would have got on with it better when I was the age that most of the characters were.

So there was nothing bad about the book, nothing I could point to as dreadfully wrong, just that I didn't have my interest held in what was going to happen in the next chapter, nevermind the next 400 pages.
As a result, things that wouldn't normally bother me were the things that grabbed my attention - such as the artistic licence in station layouts, which given that this is a fictional version of the London Underground should be fine.

But I spent my time wondering just where there's a sub-surface station which has a platform either side of a single line. I can think of surface stations that have that arrangement, e.g. middle line at Loughton or White City. I can think of sub-surface stations that have both platforms opposite each other, but with both an up and down line, e.g. Circle Line at Liverpool Street. When I realised my attention was more diverted by trying to find a station that could fit the description in the book rather than the story, I figured it was time to call it a day (given that I got a dozen new books to add to my 150+ volume waiting-to-be-read-shelf for Christmas, I have to prioritise).

So this was a reluctantly abandoned book, and I do really think it was more to do with me than the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tube Riders.

September 1, 2012 – Shelved