Noel's Reviews > Loving Frank

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Dec 18, 2008

bookshelves: lit-and-fiction, to-be-read, book-club, received-through-paperbackswap
Recommended for: historical fiction fans
Read in April, 2009 , read count: 1

I recommended this book to our book club and, finally!, got a good one. It's hard to recommend books for club when I haven't read them. I go by other peoples' recommendations, by amazon recommendations or just by the fact that I've already read the author. Well, it doesn't always work. But this time it did. And this book is a winner.

It's the story of a 10 year period in the lives of Frank Lloyd Wright and the woman who became his mistress, Mamah B. Cheney. The affair started in the early years of the 20th century, women in the United States still did not have the vote and social mores were set in stone. This affair wreaked havoc on all the lives it touched, and influenced the work of the famous architect. The period is exquisitely described and the two main characters brought to life in a very humane way.

My only quip with the book is that I wish it had illustrations of the homes, churches and gardens that are mentioned. I realize that it would be unusual in a novel, but this novel is unusual itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Frank.

Elizabeth I am going to suggest that you read The Women by T.C. Boyle after you are done with Loving Frank. It is a good follow up to it.