Kathleen's Reviews > Little Women and Me

Little Women and Me by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Aug 30, 2012

it was ok

I wanted to like it. Little Women is one of my favorite books, so the idea of a girl falling into the story sounded great. It ended up being fairly tedious, though -- Emily experiences most, if not all, scenes from the book (up through the part where Aunt Carroll invites Amy to Europe), and much of the time characters are just giving her expositions of what's been going on.

Also, much of the story revolves around the idea that JO should have ended up with Laurie, not Amy. I've never felt that way.

Finally, I felt like there were some inaccuracies or misinterpretations. For instance, I always thought the books that Marmee gave her daughters for Christmas were Bibles, not copies of THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS. Am I wrong?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Women and Me.

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy They're New Testaments or possibly different Gospels. But I thought they were Pilgrim's Progress when I was a kid, and it's a common misunderstanding, because she's pretty vague about it. I think the majority of people I've ever heard talk about Little Women do think Jo should have ended up with Laurie. Have you read The Time Garden by Edward Eager?

Kathleen No, I have not.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy It has a part that also drops modern kids into Little Women, or rather the March family, or rather a combination, plus it is one of my favorite books ever. Though it is best to read the books in order; The Time Garden is the fourth. They are quick reads, starting with Half Magic. Also the third one is all about Ivanhoe and means one doesn't have to read Ivanhoe.

Kathleen But of course I've READ THE NOBLE WORK. All the pages. And I've read Half Magic.

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Yeah, but you don't HAVE to. The next one is Magic by the Lake.

message 6: by CLM (new) - rated it 2 stars

CLM Not only did I object to Jo's not ending up with Laurie but it was compounded by her winding up with the extremely unappealing Mr. Bhaer