Karen's Reviews > All Summer Long

All Summer Long by Susan Mallery

Aug 30, 2012

liked it

This was a really sweet story but didn't quite resonate with me. I loved how nice Clay was despite being a hunky former "underwear/ass model". He wasn't arrogant and in fact has his own problems being taken seriously as a business man and volunteer firefighter when he returns home to Fool's Gold.

Charlie is so damaged from her rape 10 years ago and especially how her cold, callus mother reacted to it that she hasn't been able to let a man even kiss her. She just wants to feel normal and have a future that includes a husband and children.

Clay and Charlie enter an agreement where he helps her get over her fear of men while she helps him be taken seriously at the fire department she works at.

I just really had a problem with Clay agreeing to help Charlie with something so serious without professional help. He is a fantastic guy and to his credit researches victims of rape and how to approach her but it seems so serious to me with potential to harm rather than heal. I guess I needed to let that go and just trust that this is a contemporary romance - it will all be fine.

The real problem comes when Clay realizes he's falling for Charlie. He's a widower and the thought of losing another woman after letting himself care again terrifies him. It was resolved a little too quickly for me.

I didn't love All Summer Long but I did love Clay and Charlie. It was still a very good and touching story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Summer Long.