Rachael Sherwood's Reviews > Bring Up the Bodies

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

Aug 30, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, favorites
Read in August, 2012

You know what kind of reviews I usually hate the most? The slobbering, unapologetic fanboy/girl ones that slather on hyperbole and can find no faults. I love enthusiasism, but such unadultered love is overwhelming and verges on embarassing, to be so swayed by a movie or book that you forget your critical faculties entirely!

And yet, now I must write one. Because I cannot think of any fault in this book, and I am too giddy from the experience of reading it to even praise it coherently.

Bring Up the Bodies is one of the best reading experiences I have ever had. It far exceeds the previously-thought-of-as-unexceedable greatness of Wolf Hall. The prose is divine, the characters are nuanced and lively. The world of Tudor intrigue, so familiar in fiction, is made new and although you know the ending, Anne Boleyn must lose her head, you're so swept up into the immediacy of the world, that you turn the pages with the same hope that Anne carries to the very end.

If you're a writer, you must read this book to see how Mantel crafts perfect prose that is not a distraction, but an enhancement, to a fascinating story.

If you like history, you must read this book to see Mantel's further exploration of Thomas Cromwell.

Basically, you should read this book. (And its predecessor, Wolf Hall, although I think Bring up the Bodies stands well on its own) Do it. Dooooo it.

fangirl out

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bring Up the Bodies.