Whitley Birks's Reviews > The Lost Gate

5193512
Aug 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: almost-good, fantasy

I wanted to like this book. I really did. It started out so good that I couldn't put it down at bedtime. It had interesting mysteries and characters, and the main protagonist was actually intelligent and figuring things out on his own.

And then, about halfway through the book, it's like the author just gave up. There was no story anymore, just pages upon pages upon pages of characters sitting around and talking. It wasn't even interesting talking. They were trying to figure out how Danny's magic worked, but instead figuring it out they just spent several pages at a time expounding on theories that had no bearing. Theories which couldn't be proven one way or another and which, even if true, wouldn't have affected Danny's ability to do magic. It was just hundreds of pages of an author showing off that he was oh-so-smart and could come up with cool ideas, even though he couldn't make those cool ideas relevant to the story.

And there is so much snark in this book. Everyone person in here is a snarky character, and they all snark in exactly the same way. And they spend pages and pages doing just that, and for no reason. Again, just to show off that the author could write it. I'm really not impressed by an author who can write stuff but can't find a good narrative to put his stuff in.

The ending was rushed and weak and obviously a set-up for a sequel. The whole book could have been edited down to several hundred pages less and used as the first act of a much better book, rather than stuffed full of padding in order to make a series. Such a shame for a book that started off so well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Gate.

07/19/2016 marked as: read

Taji Lee im sorry, you incompetent child, the only reason you disliked cards work is because you probably dont yet obtain the knowledge to be able to comprehend his work yet alone many of the theories and ideas which he suggested, the lost gate is a great book, so mabye you should reread it just in case.

Whitley Birks Aw, you're adorable. I just love how you insult my intelligence while using improper grammar. It makes you look like such a grown-up! :)

Taji Lee in your comment you whined about how card's characters were too snarky, but i see you dont mind being a hypocrite

Whitley Birks I don't recall whining that *I*'m too snarky, so that doesn't really count as hypocritical.

message 5: by Wart (new)

Wart Hill Great review!

I keep seeing the audio when I'm trying to decide what to listen to next and despite my dislike of Card, I was intrigued. Good to know I should give it a miss.

Spider the Doof Warrior Pestilent troll. I've read many of Card's books too many times. The problems with his books, especially his later books are-

Too much nagging about marriage and babies
Switching from third person to first person for no reason
Weak female characters, many of whom are shrill and annoying
Good guys being too good, bad guys being too evil. a black white world view
Too many descriptions of bodily functions
the whole kid genius character who knows so much more than any other character
characters manipulating each other rather than just explaining what is going on and what needs to be done.
telling and not showing
being told a character is good by several of the other characters rather then the writer showing the character is good
Simplistic plots
Irritating world view

message 7: by Thibaut (new)

Thibaut Nicodème Synesthesia wrote: "Pestilent troll. I've read many of Card's books too many times. The problems with his books, especially his later books are-

Too much nagging about marriage and babies
Switching from third person ..."

Call me shallow, but I can't even get close enough to his books to get such a detailed analysis of his failings as an author, what with that guy's opinion.
But hey, I can't say I'm surprised he does actually fail as an author too.

Spider the Doof Warrior I used to like his books. I've read them since Jr. High school. But, he's agonizingly, depressingly homophobic and you're better off reading John Varley or Octavia Butler and he's also sexist and-

USES TOO MANY RACIAL STEREOTYPES! That should be on the list. What is the POINT of having different races of people if you're just going to use stereotypes? Would a planet of Chinese people really want to live like they are in ancient China? AND WHY? Just because they're Chinese? There's like several Chinese languages and cultures too!

Taji Lee Synesthesia wrote: "I used to like his books. I've read them since Jr. High school. But, he's agonizingly, depressingly homophobic and you're better off reading John Varley or Octavia Butler and he's also sexist and-
..."
really? when you can prove to me cards faults in these areas like, cite a passage from one of his works to prove any of these points and ill let up

Whitley Birks Taji wrote: " when you can prove to me cards faults in these areas like, cite a passage from one of his works to prove any of these points and ill let up"

Don't lie, sweetie, you know you won't.

Spider the Doof Warrior Oh just read it. I don't feel like wading through the sewage of OSC. Like read Shadow Puppets and that whole long speech about marriage and babies in it. Most of Ender in Exile was propaganda instead of plot.