Nicole 's Reviews > The List

The List by Karin Tanabe

Aug 30, 2012

When I read the synopsis of The List by Karin Tanabe, I immediately knew I wanted to read it. Political scandal uncovered by a relative newbie? Yes please. I had visions of press conferences, drama, and political commentators and talking heads going insane. The List had very, very little of that, and surprisingly I enjoyed it anyway.

It’s like 1984 without the overalls and mind control torture.
The characters are over the top. Normally, you find that with one or two characters in a book to draw attention to them. Not so in The List. Every character is over the top, and while normally I think that would detract from a story, it actually helps The List a lot. The characters are supposed to be over the top insane. How else are we to believe that the insanity that is described is actually happening. It’s almost one of those ‘this is just so strange, you can’t be possibly making it up’ scenarios. Think the Devil Wears Prada meets politics in Washington, D.C.!

Fast-forward three years and my life revolves around politicians, all of whom seem to think that laws are as flexible as gymnasts.
When it is all said and done, The List, ultimately is a book about growing up. It’s a book about deciding about the kind of person you want to be, both personally and professionally, and then setting about becoming that person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The List.

August 30, 2012 – Shelved