Dirk Grobbelaar's Reviews > Kesrith

Kesrith by C.J. Cherryh

Aug 30, 2012

bookshelves: science-fiction

Okay, this novel reminded me of Dune. Kesrith, like Arrakis, is a desert planet; the burrowers are reminiscent of the Shai-Hulud (sandworms); the Mri bear more than a passing resemblance to the Fremen, or as far as their lifestyle on Kesrith is concerned. Yet, despite all this, the novel never felt like a knock off. It goes off in a whole different direction, and, being only the first chapter in the Faded Sun trilogy, can not be read as a stand-alone.

There is one other Dune comparison I can draw. Kesrith (the novel), too, is bloody magnificent. It’s been a while since I’ve been quite so swept up in a story. Yes, it’s not an action fest, and this first novel in the trilogy lays down quite a bit of back story, but it’s really atmospheric and just really good.

Cherryh’s prose is a delight. Her focus is on the story and the characters. There isn’t a lot of technobabble or gadgetry in here, which might be a let-down if that’s your thing. However, I would strongly recommend lovers of both Science Fiction and Fantasy to at least give this a try. I went into Kesrith with high expectations (the Faded Sun Trilogy seems to be universally revered) and I wasn’t disappointed. Not even a little. The two sequels are Shon'jir and Kutath. I’ll be reading them soon.

Since the individual books are out of print, look for the omnibus edition (The Faded Sun Trilogy) which boasts the same great Michael Whelan cover art as Kutath.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kesrith.

August 30, 2012 – Started Reading
August 30, 2012 – Shelved
August 30, 2012 – Shelved as: science-fiction
September 3, 2012 –
page 126
September 4, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I think I confuse this with another series about a red sun. That's the one that has a society that lives in symbiosis with the winds, which they control telekinetically. I'm pretty sure this isn't that series.

message 2: by Anthony (new) - added it

Anthony Daley I read this when I was 17, but forgot the name. Dune always reminds me of it

Alyssa Downey Same! What came first this or Dune?