Noël's Reviews > Lock and Key

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

Dec 17, 2008

bookshelves: books-i-physically-own, favorites
Read from November 18, 2011 to May 15, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock and Key.

Quotes Noël Liked

Sarah Dessen
“Family isn’t something that’s supposed to be static, or set. People marry in, divorce out. They’re born, they die. It’s always evolving, turning into something else.”

Sarah Dessen
“What is family? They were the people who claimed you. In good, in bad, in parts or in whole, they were the ones who showed up, who stayed in there, regardless. It wasn't just about blood relations or shared chromosomes, but something wider, bigger. We had many families over time. Our family of origin, the family we created, and the groups you moved through while all of this was happening: friends, lovers, sometimes even strangers. None of them perfect, and we couldn't expect them to be. You can't make any one person your world. The trick was to take what each could give you and build your world from it.”

Sarah Dessen
“It's a lot easier to be lost than found. It's the reason we're always searching and rarely discovered--so many locks not enough keys.”

Sarah Dessen
“My point is, there are a lot of people in the world. No one ever sees everything the same way you do; it just doesn't happen. So when you find one person who gets a couple of things, especially if they're important ones... you might as well hold on to them. You know?”

Sarah Dessen
“Everyone has their weak spot. The one thing that, despite your best efforts, will always bring you to your knees, regardless of how strong you are otherwise.”

Sarah Dessen
“We can't expect everybody to be there for us, all at once. So it's a lucky thing that really, all you need is someone. ”

Sarah Dessen
“Not everything's perfect, especially in the beginning. And its all right to have a little bit of regret every once in a while. It's when you feel it all the time and can't do anything about it... that's when you get into trouble”

Sarah Dessen
“It was like discovering that some part of you wasn't yours at all. And it made me wonder what else I couldn't claim.”

Sarah Dessen
“Through my tears, I could hear her, saying it was all going to be okay, and I knew she believed this. But I was sure of something, too: it's a lot easier to be lost than found. It's the reason we're always searching, and rarely discovered--so many locks, not enough keys.”

Sarah Dessen
“If you expect the worst, you'll never be disappointed.”

Sarah Dessen
“There's just something obvious about emptiness, even when you try to convince yourself otherwise. ”

Sarah Dessen
“Hey, and for what it's worth? Friends don't leave you alone in the woods. Friends are the ones who come and take you out.”

01/29/2012 page 1