Karen's Reviews > The Morning Gift

The Morning Gift by Eva Ibbotson

Aug 29, 2012

bookshelves: adult-fiction

Eva Ibbotson holds true to her pattern. I think most, if not every book I have read by her involves a romance between a young, wide eyed, innocent girl who sees things through the lens of art, or poetry, or music or dance - who sees the world with new eyes and whose enthusiasm for life is simple and contagious. And an older, life experienced man with some sort of tragedy or bitterness in his past that has kept him from finding happiness in the form of a wife, though he is always highly pursued.

And you know what, it works for her. And she's good at it. So I'm not complaining. In fact, this was another one of those darn 'stay up til 4am to finish' books. I must stop doing this.

I liked the loose use of history, setting this in the time leading up to WWII. I liked her family and the plot.

The end sort of rushed to a conclusion. But I was ready to go to sleep, so I was just glad it all worked out :)

This one was less about the romance and more about the girl, Ruth. And I do, still, find inspiration in Ms. Ibbotson's characters. They do make me lift up my eyes and enjoy the world around me a little more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Morning Gift.