Kristina's Reviews > Forged by Greed

Forged by Greed by A.O. Peart

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, new-light-on-old-myths, ya

I had a very hard time settling on a rating for this book. There were things I liked about it, and things I really didn't. In the end I settled for the midpoint - 2.5 stars.

I liked the idea behind the story - two races of shifters being manipulated by ancient goddesses, but figuring out how to work together and save the world. The world Ms. Peart created was intriguing.

That being said, there were elements I just didn't care for at all. First and foremost, Jasmira. I found her to be whiny and clingy, and generally just annoying. I was glad when Jatred forgot about her.

I also didn't care for the multiple POV's. I generally don't like multiple POV's, I prefer to follow one person throughout the story, but I especially didn't care for how this book jumped from character to character to character, and on and on. I think it's harder to develop a connection to the main character that way.

Down to the nit-picky...there's a ton of description about elements, clothing in particular, that add nothing to the story and I found annoying. Is it really that important to know Jasmira and Penelope wear lots of Prada? *shrugs* I also felt that at times the sentences were disjointed and lacked flow. And, in the beginning of the story, I felt like I was jumping into book two of a series instead of book one. I would've liked to see how Jatred and Jasmira got together in the first place, then I might've cared more when they were broken up.

Overall, especially for a first novel, I thought the story was good - not the best thing I've ever read, but certainly not the worst. I look forward to seeing what Angela comes up with in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forged by Greed.

August 29, 2012 – Shelved