Diana's Reviews > Wives and Daughters

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

Dec 17, 2008

bookshelves: 2009, classic-lit, fiction
Read in November, 2009

I've just recently finished this book, and I liked it very, very much. The effect was just slightly spoiled for me by the fact that I'd seen the mini-series so I had no suspense, but the writing is superb enough that the book was a joy to read anyway. I can't say it's my favorite Gaskell (North and South takes that place), but its character are beautifully rendered and the story is absolutely wonderful. Molly is exquisitely lovable, essentially the perfect heroine since we can follow her, admire her, and feel for her every step of the way.
The only complaint I had was that every once and a while I would wish that Gaskell wasn't so softly moralizing in her portrayal of virtues and flaws--sometimes I became a little tired of her constantly understanding tone and gently corrective narrative and wanted her to come down a little more on the side of indignant anger, since I certainly was.
But all in all, this is really a wonderful book, and wonderfully well written. For anyone who likes period literature, and especially anyone who enjoys Jane Austen, I highly recommend this work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wives and Daughters.