Nickie's Reviews > Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus

Pastwatch by Orson Scott Card

Dec 16, 2008

liked it
Read in January, 2009

Why this book for an American History class? I think there are so many good reasons I don't even now them all. I get the feeling it's intended to sort of set a stage to show me that what is written and what has really happened is based upon the author and reader perceptions.

I would never want to live in a time where it was possible to go back in time and change history, although I can't be completely sure of that. It would to nice to have the ending of this book occur and no slavery in America possibly but that isn't a sure beat.

It just seems like everything that is coming towards me lately boils down to two words...pride or humility.

If history repeats itself, then what am I learning from the past that will help me in my future? Same thing goes for the world communities.

The Anatomy of Peace and I'm sure other books, scriptures, if we don't treat each other as people instead of objects we begin to slide down a slippery slope as an individual or as a nation.

I guess I liked the book a little more when I cried a few tears for Diko and Hunahpu who meet again after many years living in the 16th
century.

I liked the way Card ended the story and the triumphant yet humble return of Christopher Columbus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pastwatch.