Mary Anne's Reviews > Great World Religions: Judaism

Great World Religions by Isaiah M. Gafni

liked it
bookshelves: audio-book, library, non-fiction, spirituality

This the final book I read in regard to Great World Religions: I've listened to Islam, Hinduism, God and Mankind, and Christianity. I was especially eager to get to this series after listening to both Christianity and Islam. I suppose I had many preconceptions about what I would hear. I rather expected to hear something about how Christians often interpret the Old Testament differently than Jews do, but there was really no mention of it.

I greatly appreciated hearing the emphasis on the Second Temple and its destruction. The scholar also made a lot of connections to Christianity in drawing connections to Jesus without, of course, calling him the Messiah. I saw a trend in terms of the identification of a homeland (unlike Christianity, but completely similar, in its own way, to Hinduism and Islam).

However, one of the things I didn't like about this series was the assumptions this scholar took with his audience. I'm vaguely familiar with the Bible, but not all that familiar, and I would have appreciated even some short summaries and explanations.

I found the narration to be a bit above fair. Well worth listening to.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great World Religions.

August 28, 2012 – Shelved
August 28, 2012 – Shelved as: audio-book
August 28, 2012 – Shelved as: non-fiction
August 28, 2012 – Shelved as: library
August 28, 2012 – Shelved as: spirituality
September 4, 2012 – Started Reading
September 14, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Andrew Just so you know, the Buddhism one is excellent.