Beckyloohoo Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ aka Mrs. Acheron Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ's Reviews > Witch Way Bends

Witch Way Bends by Olivia Hardin

Ooo boy. I got this book for free on Amazon and read it as part of a book challenge. If it hadn't been for the Challenge, I would have put down this book and not finished it. I know that there are several people here on GR that loved and raved about it, and that's great, but this just wasn't the book for me.

The book begins in what feels like mid-chapter, or even 3 or 4 chapters in, in the middle of what seems to be an important scene. But we have no idea who anyone is, or what's going on. Other books have started this way, but they quickly provide explanations and details to get the reader caught up to what's really going on. This book didn't. The explanations come too late for me and they never fully explain what's happening. Or who everyone really is. The main characters seemed to be much younger in maturity levels than they should be. I kept picturing Devan (or Devon as it was also in the book) as a teenaged girl, not a 30 year old woman. There are parts of the book that seem so disjointed, like the author wrote them separately and pieced them together later. Like when (view spoiler) And then the book ends. Just cuts off very abruptly. I know that this is supposed to be one book in a series, but still. It just ....stops. Which only left me feeling more disjointed.

I didn't feel any kind of connection to the characters. I wasn't emotionally invested in what happened to them. Characters were introduced that seemed to be important but never explained or given more than two or three sentences worth of attention here and there. I liked the premise of the book, I just didn't care for the book itself.

Would I recommend this book to a friend? Sadly no.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witch Way Bends.

August 28, 2012 – Shelved
Started Reading
September 4, 2012 – Finished Reading
September 5, 2012 – Shelved as: bad-ending
September 7, 2012 – Shelved as: under-developed-story
September 30, 2012 – Shelved as: reading-romance-challenge

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Honest review, Becky! A story goes downhill if you can't connect with the characters. : /

Beckyloohoo Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ aka Mrs. Acheron Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ I wanted to like it Anna. I just couldn't connect to it.

Latte I felt exactly the same way. There were some weird disconnects - as if you'd walked in mid-story with characters popped in for convenience sake that added little to the overall plot development.