Brian's Reviews > A Brief History of Time

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

A Brief History of Time is one of those books I’ve been intending to read since it came out in the late eighties. I finally got around to it, and I’m happy to say it was worth the wait.

The book is about physics, and the nature of the universe. It takes a high-level look at everything from classical interpretations of physics to what we knew about the physical world towards the end of the twentieth century, when the work was published.

Topics covered include space and time, the expanding universe, the uncertainty principle, elementary particles and the forces of nature, black holes, the origin and fate of the universe, the arrow of time, wormholes and time travel, and how the different theories in modern physics might one day be unified.

Some of the narrative is mind-boggling, because many of the subjects discussed are impossible to visualise or imagine. There are also some difficult concepts to digest, like quantum mechanics. These aren’t covered in depth, but non-physicists will probably have to reread these sections a few times in order to comprehend what is being said.

Would I recommend the book? A resounding yes! If you have ever opened your eyes and wondered about the world and your place in the universe, this book will give you some incredible insights and food for thought. Stephen Hawking’s dry sense of wit makes it even more readable and enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brief History of Time.

May 27, 2021 – Shelved
May 27, 2021 – Shelved as: to-read
May 28, 2021 – Started Reading
May 28, 2021 –
8.0% "I've been meaning to read this book since the early nineties. Finally getting round to it, and enjoying it very much."
May 29, 2021 –
25.0% "Can’t put it down."
May 30, 2021 –
38.0% "Still enjoying the book, but got a bit lost over the number of different elementary particles and different spins involved in the four forces, as described in chapter four. I’m a highly visual person, so a table or diagram of some kind would have helped me."
May 31, 2021 –
46.0% "Enjoyed the chapter on black holes."
June 1, 2021 –
June 2, 2021 –
June 3, 2021 –
June 4, 2021 –
78.0% "Interesting chapter on wormholes and time travel."
June 5, 2021 –