C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Aug 28, 2012

bookshelves: 5-star, paranormal, young-adult, read-2014
Read 4 times. Last read January 15, 2014 to January 17, 2014.

I'm just going to accept this fact: If Maggie Stiefvater writes it, there's a 99.9% chance I'm going to ADORE THE SOCKS OFF IT. Naturally, The Raven Boys is no different. After putting this book off foreeeever, I've read it. I'm hopelessly in love. No one save me.

description

The writing? This is why I LOVE everything Stiefvater. The writing is the stuff of perfect, writerly dreams. *hugs book* Seriously, it has the perfect amount of detail. It doesn't say "box" it says "cereal box". The car is an "orange camaro" and Ronan smells like "soap and deodorant". Just these little tiny things, that so often fall out of books. But there's ALWAYS here in Maggie Steifvater's books. I get so sucked in by her writing. Okay, I promised myself I would spend the whole review fangirling...but I seriously love her writing.

The story? Okay, I confess! I originally read the first 2 chapters and then sent this back to the library. I was really uncomfortable with the whole mediums and psychics and ley lines. It went against how I've been brought up. But, if nothing else, I'M A WILD CHILD. I love to read everything and anything (young adult, anyway...I'm not brave enough for sticky adult stuff) and I like trying new things. I was wholly comfortable the second time and it wasn't a problem. BUT. The writing is slow and sticky at the beginning. Like peanut butter, delicious, but your tongue gets gummed up. I found myself trying very hard to concentrate properly. Also the size scared the eyeballs out of me. Now I wish it hadn't ended. Dang it.

I do protest the head-hopping, though! Gosh! How famous is this author?! She shouldn't be allowed to get away with random POV head-hopping. It's in 3rd person. The chapters mostly vary from Adam, Blue and Gansey, but occasionally we get a chapter by Welk. I didn't like hoping into Adam's thoughts, though, when it was Blue's chapter! I consider that dodgy writing! But I'm mostly blind to all criticism, because I love the book so much. BUT STILL. Just because you're famous, doesn't mean you can get away with the basics.

Characters? I save best till last, you see. Oh gosh. I can't even begin to explain how much I adored these characters! There were a lot of them, but I never mixed any up! I just want to gather them all up and put them on my bookshelf for keeps. (I want to own this book.) Even though it's 3rd person, the writing was so intimate to each POV. I felt connected to them all. Very engaged with the story.

I loved how Blue was strong, but in a quiet way! I think, too often, YA girls have to be kick-butt or weird or nothing. Blue was definitely weird. Wild child, style. But she was quiet and strong. I loved her way of thinking, how she was matter-of-fact, nervous at times. She wanted to impress but would refuse to stoop to impress. I loved how she and Gansey weren't an item! I assumed they would be. It is beyond AWESOME when the girl gets the secondary guy.

The Raven Boys were equally amazing. I loved them all! Gansey is so motherly! I loved how he kept everyone together. The second one of their foursome was missing, they went looking. It was adorable. I can't possibly pick a favourite. I loved Ronan. He was all bad boy, teeth and conquer the world. Gansey was so well-meaning, even if he was condescending. And Adam! Yes, Adam was famously strict and hard working. Quiet, but in a determined way. I loved his pride. But NOAH. OH NOAH! Spoilers says I can't say anymore...but OH NOAH.

description

I am a fan. That is all. Give me book #2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven Boys.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I guess now would be a good time to tell you," He said. "I took Chainsaw out of my dreams.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Gansey's partying with his mother," Ronan said. He smelled like beer. "And Noah's fucking dead. But Parrish is here.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Are you really going to work in that?" Maura asked.

Blue looked at her clothing. It involved a few thin layering shirts, including one she had altered using a method called shredding. "What's wrong with it?"
Maura shrugged. "Nothing. I always wanted an eccentric daughter. I just never realised how well my evil plans were working.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“How do you feel about helicopters?"
There was a long pause. "How do you mean? Ethically?"
"As a mode of transportation."
"Faster than camels, but less sustainable.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“You are being self-pitying."
"I'm nearly done. You don't have much more of this to bear."
"I like you better this way."
"Crushed and broken," Gansey said. "Just the way women like 'em.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I’ve been dead for seven years, that’s as warm as they get.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Fate," Blue replied, glowering at her mother, "is a very weighty word to throw around before breakfast.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I always wanted an eccentric daughter . I just never realized how well my evil plans were working.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve," Neeve said. "Either you're his true love . . . or you killed him.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Oh! Your hand is cold." Ashley cupped her fingers against her shirt to warm them.
"I've been dead for seven years," Noah said. "That's as warm as they get.”
tags: funny

Maggie Stiefvater
“We have to be back in three hours," Ronan said. "I just fed Chainsaw but she'll need it again."

"This," Gansey replied "is precisely why I didn't want to have a baby with you.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Ronan didn't need physics. He could intimidate even a piece of plywood into doing what he wanted.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Blue was a fanciful, but sensible thing. Like a platypus, or one of those sandwiches that had been cut into circles for a fancy tea party.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Gansey could’ve had any and all of the friends that he wanted. Instead he had chosen the three of them, three guys who should’ve, for three different reasons, been friendless.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“She recognized the strange happiness that came from loving something without knowing why you did, that strange happiness that was sometimes so big that it felt like sadness.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Did you get notes for me?"
"No", Ronan replied,"I thought you were dead in a ditch.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Ronan said, "I'm always straight."
Adam replied "Oh, man, that's the biggest lie you've ever told.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Blue remained secretly hopeful that, somewhere out there in the world, there were other odd people like her.”

August 28, 2012 – Shelved
January 15, 2014 – Started Reading
January 15, 2014 –
page 117
28.68% "I'm finding I need to really concentrate, but the characters are awesome. I love how Blue is sensible. I love how Gansey is motherly to Ronan. It's hard work on my brain though."
January 16, 2014 –
page 200
49.02% "I ship Blue and Adam. That is all."
January 17, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star
January 17, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal
January 17, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 17, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
January 17, 2014 – Finished Reading
January 18, 2016 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
January 18, 2016 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
January 18, 2016 –
page 30
7.21% "I'm re-reading this...PURELY BECAUSE I MISS DEM BOYS. <3" (Hardcover Edition)
January 23, 2016 –
page 99
23.8% "But it's the way these stupid boys CARE FOR EACH OTHER. Like they'll risk and do anything to keep the other ones safe. \n rONAN MY BBY.<3" (Hardcover Edition)
January 24, 2016 –
page 110
26.44% "GANSEY IS THEIR MOTHER THOUGH. <3 Mother Gansey." (Hardcover Edition)
January 26, 2016 –
page 217
52.16% "Adam: "Nobody knows who Ned Kelly is either, Gansey."\n \n Me: *nostrils flare of outrage* HOW DARE THEE. YOU HAVE OFFENDED AUSTRALIANS ALL OVER THE UNIVERSE, I, CHIEF AMONG THEM. NED KELLY IS A PRECIOUS BEAN TO BE PROTECTED. <3" (Hardcover Edition)
January 30, 2016 –
page 369
88.7% "How DARE anyone fight with the precious Gansey creature. SIT DOWN ADAM. SIT DOWN NOW." (Hardcover Edition)
February 1, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star (Hardcover Edition)
February 1, 2016 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy (Hardcover Edition)
February 1, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016 (Hardcover Edition)
February 1, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult (Hardcover Edition)
February 1, 2016 – Shelved as: paranormal (Hardcover Edition)
February 1, 2016 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
April 7, 2016 – Shelved as: reread (Hardcover Edition)
November 25, 2016 – Shelved as: audio-books (Hardcover Edition)
October 22, 2017 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
October 22, 2017 –
page 24
5.87% "Helpful reminder that Gansey has sausage and avocado on his pizza because his aesthetic is "pretentiousness". Bless him." (Hardcover Edition)
October 22, 2017 –
page 50
12.22% "Adam, in book #1: "Look I just don't really believe in magic, ok?"

Me, having read all 4 books: "HAH HAHA HAHAHAHA AHAHHAHHA. You sweet summer child.""
October 23, 2017 –
page 155
37.9% "Reading book 4 and then book 1 straight after is MIND BLOWING. Maggie Stiefvater freaking foreshadowed everything????? Like these tiny random moments in book 1 are like HUGE uPCOMING THINGS AND I JUST...

magic is afoot"
October 24, 2017 –
page 193
47.19% "HOW THE RAVEN BOYS FIGHT:

• Ronan = fights with anything basically
• Ronan + Adam = fights recreationally
• Adam + Gansey = fights about money until Ronan does something more heinous and they have to unite to be his parents"
October 24, 2017 –
page 310
75.79% "Gansey: I'm going to need everyone to be straight with each other from now on.
Ronan: I'm always straight.
Adam: Oh man that's the biggest lie you've ever told.

#ICONIC"
(Hardcover Edition)
October 24, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017 (Hardcover Edition)
October 24, 2017 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
May 16, 2018 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
May 16, 2018 –
page 127
31.05% "look i'm rereading this (A G A I N) and none can stop me

also I'll have you know I can open the book to the EXACT page I want. No bookmarks needed. i'm not sure if this is a new level of high or low tbh"
May 16, 2018 –
page 274
66.99% "Your Helpful Reminders That:
☆ Blue comes up to Ronan's shoulder
☆ Gansey eats avocado on his pizza
☆ Ronan had to teach Adam how to drive a manual car
☆ Ronan coos at his baby bird
☆ every time a wasp/bee appears, everyone yells at Gansey and basically plans to tackle him down to safety to protect him"
May 17, 2018 –
page 353
86.31% "Adam and Ronan weren't in a fight at the moment, and both of them were too startled by the day's events to start a new one.

it takes someone nearly getting murdered for these boys to chill out and if that doesn't summarise the series what will"
(Hardcover Edition)
May 22, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018 (Hardcover Edition)
May 22, 2018 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)

message 1: by Mirriam (new) - added it

Mirriam Neal *FLINGS THINGS AROUND IN EXCITEMENT* ISN'T IT THE BEST I JUST GOT THE DREAM THIEVES FROM THE LIBRARY

C.G. Drews I AM ABOUT TO STORM THE LIBRARY UNTIL I CAN GET THE NEXT BOOK. OHMYGOSH. OHMYGOSH.

message 3: by Mirriam (new) - added it

Mirriam Neal I KNOW I KNOW NOAH ISN'T NOAH PRECIOUS I MEAN SERIOUSLY JUST WOW

message 4: by Mirriam (new) - added it

Mirriam Neal AND I'M FORCING MYSELF TO WAIT TO START TDT UNTIL TOMORROW WHEN WE LEAVE BC I WANT TO READ IT ON VACATION BUT I NEED TO KNOW HOW RONAN GOT CHAINSAW

message 5: by Mirriam (new) - added it

C.G. Drews NOAH. HE IS SO SWEET. I was like "why is he here" at the beginning, because they never really talked about him. BUT IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW. Gosh, RONAN. He's like turning himself around. Like, in a weird and wild way. BUT STILL. RONAN. And I have nooo idea who Blue is going to get together with. Ohgosh.

message 7: by Mirriam (new) - added it

Mirriam Neal Cait D wrote: "NOAH. HE IS SO SWEET. I was like "why is he here" at the beginning, because they never really talked about him. BUT IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW. Gosh, RONAN. He's like turning himself around. Like, in a..."

I KNOW RIGHT O.O I MEAN I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO I SHIP HER WITH. I SHIP HER WITH ALL OF THEM. I WANT ALL OF THEM TO BE HAPPY.

C.G. Drews YES. OMG YES. MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY. I SHIP THEM ALL AS THE AWESOMEST FRIENDS IN THE WORLD. AND THAT IS THE IMPORTANT THING.

message 9: by Mirriam (new) - added it

Mirriam Neal YES. JUST.
AAAAS;DLFKJGHHHH.
DREAM THIEVES HERE I COME.

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews BECAUSE I LOVE TO TORTURE YOU, LAYLA. I DO.

Elizabeth Chesak Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! I'm glad you liked it!

I found the head-hopping a bit annoying, too. I don't mind multiple narrators, but it threw me a bit to start a chapter with Blue narrating only to have Adam be the POV halfway through.

SAGJHDSKGJHDSGLHGSKDHGSDG BLUE AND GANSEY FOREVER

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews OHGOSH I CAN'T POSSIBLY MAKE A CHOICE ABOUT SHIPPING WHO WITH WHO. But I do find it kind of, ehhh, annoying, when famous authors get away with stuff (like head hopping) that everyone else gets in trouble for! Still. I can't possibly be angry. BECAUSE RONAN AND CHAINSAW. AND BLUE'S WHOLE HOUSEHOLD AND FAMILY. AND THE CAR.

Sasha Nanua reading The Dream Thieves!

Catherine RONAN AND CHAINSAW! I ship them (not in a romantic way because that would be a bit weird, but in the sense that they will forever be linked as friends even though one's a bird. Actually, that's weird, too. Disregard.)

message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews NO I SHIP RONAN AND CHAINSAW TOO. IN THAT WAY. NOT THE OTHER WAY.

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Sasha wrote: "reading The Dream Thieves!"

SASHA! I'm jealous!! My library doesn't have The Dream Thieves yet. *weeps copiously*

Sasha Nanua It's really good! I decided to buy it after getting The Raven Boys from the library :)

Catherine But seriously, this book had a love triangle without having a love triangle. It messed with my head.

message 19: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews SASHA: I think I might just have to buy it...I'm not sure I can survive not knowing what happens!!!

CATHERINE: I knooow, right?! Like, the romance wasn't even a big deal, and I don't know who to ship...and usually that'd make me annoyed. But in this case, I love it.

message 20: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews MWHAHAHA. BE PREPARED FOR THE FEELS.

Catherine Cait D wrote: "I knooow, right?! Like, the romance wasn't even a big deal, and I don't know who to ship...and usually that'd make me annoyed. But in this case, I love it."

It was quite nice to have a paranormal story focused more on the life-or-death aspects rather than "Oooh, hot boys." We just need to ship Ronan and Chainsaw, and everything will be okay (she said, rocking back and forth to subdue the intense feelings of WHO DO I SHIP?!) (view spoiler)

Miriam Joy OMH if you love Ronan then The Dream Thieves will actually kill you and rip out your heart and carve poetry into your rib cage

Miriam Joy I meant it in a good way in that it's beautiful but also in a frightening way because OH THE EMOTIONS

message 24: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews MIRIAM: HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SURVIVE NOW? RONAN! RONAN! DON'T DO ANYTHING (TOO) STUPID BECAUSE YOU ARE THE BEST. I ALREADY HAVE DESTROYED EMOTIONS.

LAYLA: I AM fabulous like that, aren't I?

Miriam Joy It's beautiful, but it hurts.

message 26: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews To quote Hiccup: Pain. Love it.

Catherine So perfect! Is there a Gif of that quote? I need to look when I get home (somehow, I think I can get away with Goodreads during class, but searching for GIFs probably wouldn't fly.)

message 28: by Catherine (last edited Jan 23, 2014 04:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine And... I've found it!
description

La La I am far enough into the book now to be confused why people were telling me that they hoped I could make it thrkugh this book because The Dream Thieves and Blue Lily are really good. I think this book is really good, too. I am happy to see you thought so, too.

La La Yasssssssss.... the descriptions of everything and anything are DELICIOUS!

em_is_reading God, I want to read it so badly. Soon, I hope. I'm just so busy. * Le sigh*

message 32: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @EmkayReads: BUT OMG IT'S SO SO SOOOOO GOOD. XD I am just sayin'. ;D

Ashley Elliott Hey here's your original review - looks like you just reviewed a different edition.