Alisha Marie's Reviews > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

Dec 16, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy, books-i-own-that-i-ve-read, children-s-books, read-in-2014
Read in January, 2014

I bought The Tales of Beedle the Bard when it was first released. And I have resisted reading it for all of these years because I don't want the Harry Potter series to be over. So, I figured if I delay reading this book then the series won't be over...not for me, anyway. This book was my one link to the Harry Potter series. My one unfinished link, I mean. Having finally bit the bullet and read it, I have this to say: The Tales of Beedle the Bard were really, really cute.

I love fairytales. I love actual fairy-tales, I love fairy tale spinoffs, I love Once Upon a Time...really anything having to do with fairy tales, I'm totally there. The fairy tales in The Tales of Beedle the Bard did not disappoint. While I thought that they were all pretty damn great, one of my favorites would have to be The Warlock's Hairy Heart. Apparently, I have a thing for the twisted and the macabre because I loved the ending. However, nothing can beat the brilliance that is The Tale of Three Brothers. It's just so wonderfully told. Both deep and (it bears repeating) brilliant, The Tale of Three Brothers is one of my favorite parts in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Definitely the one story that I can see myself rereading.

When it comes to Dumbledore's notes at the end of each tale, I found that I was most looking forward to reading these as opposed to the next tale. I loved that The Tales of Beedle the Bard delved into the history of Rowling's wizarding world through Dumbledore's insights. That's something that I have always been immensely curious about: what the wizarding world was like before Harry Potter, before the Order of the Phoenix (both the original and the remastered), what life was like before Lord Voldemort, before Tom Riddle. While this book doesn't go deep into it (it is merely a book of fairy tales after all), the glimpses of it were enough to satisfy my thirst for now (I'm lying).

So, overall I found The Tales of Beedle the Bard to be quite charming. Not exactly five stars as I don't see myself rereading it in its entirety in the future, but still it was a sweet read. And now I'm going to fall into somewhat of a depression seeing as how I now have nothing new to read from the Harry Potter universe...nothing J.K. Rowling endorsed anyway. I'm still impatiently waiting for the Harry Potter encyclopedia she promised. I also desperately want to read Hogwarts, A History. And I don't want it to be as short as these companion books are. I want a full account of Hogwarts. It's a big place that has to be full to the brim with secrets and magic. So I expect nothing less than 600 pages. And I want a revised, updated version that covers the Battle and tells us what had to rearranged due to it. (Yes, I know, I know...in my dreams perhaps).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

02/02/2014 marked as: read