Rebecca's Reviews > Lirael

7212045
Aug 28, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, teens
Read in August, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I have to admit that I was quite reluctant to pick this book up - I loved 'Sabriel', and I knew you would see precious little of her in this sequel so I was sure to be disappointed (I loved her and I loved the first book). Sequels are hard. It's quite true Sabriel hardly is in this book at all (she and Touchstone is away trying to fix things) and the main focus is on Lirael, from the glaciers in the north, and Sabriel's son Sameth.

At first the two characters are kept separate, and when the book for the first time went from focusing on Lirael to Sameth I got a bit annoyed - that's after almost 200 pages and I wasn't prepared for it, and I wanted to keep following Lirael (and since the first of the three parts of the book was about Lirael, I was afraid the whole second part would be about Sameth) but Nix switch between the characters so that you get to follow them both, so I soon got over my initial reaction quite quickly.

But it's pure evil to end the book where it ends! 'Sabriel' was a full story in itself, 'Lirael' ends with a 'to be continued in the next book'!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lirael.