Maria's Reviews > Seeing Further: Ideas, Endeavours, Discoveries and Disputes — The Story of Science Through 350 Years of the Royal Society

Seeing Further by Bill Bryson

Aug 28, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: archäologie

It was, let´s say: okay. But I expected a lot more from it. The first chapters were almost up to what I expected. The history of the Royal Society was presented in a fresh, mostly charming style, provided by different authors concerning different spheres of investigation or presentation of the Royal Society.
The chapters from no. 9 onwards became more and more boring, not because there were touching more recent times (mostly the 20th century) but because they consistent more or a less in a long description of who made and did what and when. I expected some kind of cultural historical analysis of the last trends of cientific development, touching upon themes like chemistry, biology, genetics and the like. But in the end it was (for me) more like a boring lecture from a very good informed investigator who lacks the knack of good presentation.
Moreover I didn´t get the point of contact with the main theme of the book: the Royal Society. If I am to be provided with the life histories of important cientists, thats okay but I would read Wikipedia instead if I had an interest in this. This book promised: "the story of science" and "endeavours, discoveries and disputes" and this led me to think that I could expect something more than just mere facts - more analysis and some insights into the interwoven histories of science and culture. So, after all I am a little bit disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeing Further.

August 28, 2012 – Started Reading